Tuesday 21 August 2018

Book Review: Bitter and Sweet

Sandra V. Feder
I'm always looking for picture books, even though I'm retired. I usually introduced a new theme with my students, from JK to gr. 8, in all areas of the curriculum.

There are so many times I've heard this message. There are times when we focus on the bitter, but without it, we do not realize how sweet the good times can be. Author, Sandra V. Feder, has written several books. This is a lovely one. We can look for the silver lining, look for the end of the rainbow, .

September brings changes for kids, and such challenges lead to new learning. The story focuses on upheaval, and a child moving. It also celebrates Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. I like that. It is important to expose children to varied traditions, values, and celebrations. It is an excellent book of for a familiar theme of loss and grief. How many of us need reminding that we can recognize our emotions and look for the lessons in the journey.





MORE ABOUT SANDRA V. FEDER:
Author of the acclaimed, The Moon Inside, and the popular Daisy series of children’s books, Sandra’s books address universal themes and help children feel empowered through stories that are specific, characters that are genuine, and deeper meanings that are revealed slowly and beautifully. 


This is a helpful infographic, which has an important point. Anger masks all sorts of issues. I found this a timely reminder for me. It is so easy to become bitter. 
You can read more here: The Gottman Institute.

3 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

How did you get this book? It's only available for pre-order on Amazon. Sounds good though. I've put it on my wish list.

William Kendall said...

Thanks for pointing this one out, Jennifer.

Jenn Jilks said...

It was a review copy!