Monday 2 July 2018

Dock spiders!

Beside the bird bath is an Echinacea plant, hosting some little friends. It's a dock spider, with babies. She is protecting them from the ants. She stretches out, and points her legs, and you can barely see her.

Dolomedes is a genus of large spiders of the family Pisauridae. They are also known as fishing spiders, raft spiders, dock spiders or wharf spiders. Pisaurids are commonly known (uMcGill) as nursery-web spiders, as females build a silken, tent-like ‘nursery’ for their spiderlings. Upon hatching, the young spiders live in a protected place, typically spun in and among grasses, low-growing vegetation, or between rocks around the margins of water.

Dock spider from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

7 comments:

Olga said...

I have never done a study of spiders. They seem to like to hide along the baseboard behind the tv here in my place. I shoo them out, but they seem determined. Perhaps they are PBS fans. I did have a wolf spider land on me once while cleaning out the old shed. Probably you would have found it fascinating. I just did a freak out dance. I did go back and finish the clean out though.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I am fascinated by bugs and beetles and all other creepies - loved learning about this one! YAM xx (who is still a few days off being back at the Hutch, but not too many!)

Cloudia said...

Yikes! Stay safe

Red said...

There are many, many spiders...all interesting.

Christine said...

nice photos and video!

Powell River Books said...

As a city girl I learned to fear spiders, but they really as good to have around. I just have to change my way of thinking. - Margy

William Kendall said...

As long as they stay outside, I'm fine with spiders.