Monday 23 April 2018

Do you like online auctions?

I do. They give me ideas, at least. This one came up for sale. Sadly, I didn't win the auction. I went to bed early. I haven't been to an auction in ages. I thought this a perfect piece!

I had a whim about replacing a cupboard, you see. This piece was built by the previous owner of the house. I want some storage, however. The space is about 35" x 35".
 I thought about replacing the above shelving, with my bedside table. This space is 40", but that means finding a new table for the bedroom.

Off we went. First stop Smiths Falls.


Next, we went to this spot. Two guys walked in. "Oooh," said one. "I love that old smell. These are antiques."
The other guy said, "Yeah, the smell of mold!"
The clerk at the cash registered indignation. The funny thing was, when the dude passed me, all I could smell was cigarette smoke!

I like looking at antiques. They speak of a difference time.

A washstand might be the thing, but I'm not sure!


OK, next destination, off to Franktown. There are two antique shops there. Here are the photos from the first one. We wiped our shoes, it was a dry day. She watched JB walk in and asked if he had wiped his shoes. It was insulting. We will never go back.
 

The signage was horrid. "Don't touch this,"
"Ask for help if you want to open this."
It was creepy. As another couple passed us as we left, I said, "Make sure you wipe your feet. Mom is in there!"
It was crowded, as well. Just too many pieces.


Next stop, we pulled in the back parking for Revival. Two cars were there. Walked around to the front. The signage said they were open Sat. 10 - 4:00. Door locked, we walked out to the back. Someone was emptying her car. She said that the owners weren't back yet. It'll open next week.

It is an old church, converted to an antique store.


Next stop was Carleton Place. We looked through another store. I spotted this same table!




This place was only open on Wednesdays! This was Balderson.

Now, I have to rethink the project! Weigh my options...

10 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

That ended abruptly. :)

Anyway, it seems like not the best shopping day, especially in Franktown. They will probably wonder why when they go out of business.

DUTA said...

I participated twice in an online auction, and it cured me forever. Don't ask me why, I don't remember why, don't want to remember. Anyway, I didn't win.
If you're interested in a vintage piece of furniture, you better see it with your eyes. Good Luck!

Ella said...

I really enjoy your photos!
I also love the "vintage look" but guess what?! I hous I have only the modern furniture ... that is! I am not alone ... LOL

Olga said...

I have not made a tour of antiques dealers for quite some time now. Thanks for sharing your tour.

William Kendall said...

A shop that condescending is going to get a bad reputation.

Nancy J said...

Online bidding, it gets scary towards the end if there are a lot of bidders. That is when my heart starts to go so fast!!! Nothing there would be my pick, you might need to go out and have another look elsewhere.

Red said...

there's lots of good stuff around that can be used.

Lowcarb team member said...

I've never done an online auction, but they do seem popular.
I do enjoy having a look around antique shops ...

All the best Jan

PS Have I ever said I love your banner photograph, it's amazing.

NatureFootstep said...

I will soon know if I like online auctions. I have left two things for one auction. They will soon go online.

Christine said...

I love furniture shopping! Too bad I don't need anything right now.