Thursday 8 September 2011

How to build a pond 1c

There be glitches. Yes, I was stumped, well, rocked.  Part 1 was to dig a hole. That hasn't happened totally.

How much dirt in a hole 4 x 4 x 2'?
No dirt in a hole, only rocks.Big ones. Three that I couldn't move.

After a couple of hours, playing in the hole, stopping to photograph the things I found in the hole - yes, since retirement I have a short attention span. Since I turned 50, physical work is more demanding, and I need more breaks.

Firstly, Felix. He likes the hole. Both kittens like playing stone hockey in it.

Then there were other things I found.
spider & ant


earwig




June bug

Felix can't spend all his time in the hole.

I gave up.


There's some blood in the hole, too.
The rock bit me.
Yes, I was wearing gloves...
squirmy wormy

Stuck - huge rock...

My hero, neighbour Bruce!
I heard he had great equipment!

Easy as pie!



Bruce, coincidentally, helped build our house back in 1987, when he was an apprentice. He lives next door.

His tractor just lifted those rocks out after I'd sweated buckets. And gone through a number of band-aids.

He usually charges for the rental, but we decided I'd tutor him on the computer, instead! Hooray.

So far, I bought the liner 2nd hand $100, although new. Rocks, free. Tools, priceless.
Stay tuned for the liner and the placement of the rocks. You fill it partially, adjusting the liner on the edge and the rocks as you go. I read a couple of books on this.

Now I have to scrape the bottom smooth for the liner (Part 2)  and figure out how big I want the pond to be, according to the depth. Glad it's been raining as I don't want the run the well dry. The pond, theoretically, holds 825 gallons, depending upon the depth. This is about 2 1/2' deep.

No comments: