Thursday 8 September 2011

How to build a pond 2

Here is part 2, although I have parts 1a, 1b, 1c, that I posted as I hit my glitches. Now, for those who asked, yes, we have a pond on a part of our 16 acres, but it has since dried up. This is the beauty of amphibians who adapt to the changing of the seasons. July they live in water, August the pond dried up and they move onto the land, those that lived. The minnows died, as did the bullfrog tadpoles who take 2 years to mature. So sad.

However, walking across the dewy lawn, my frog friends hop away. Snakes slither through the grass.

We used to live beside a lake, with a pond. I love pond life over the seasons, having watched our Bala pond for the 50 years we owned our 'cottage'. Now, living closer to family, I hankered for some water. Good exercise, too. I'm my own boss. I work at my own speed.

Hubby's back has gone out, although getting better, he did groceries and brought home a lovely lunch of veggie pate wrap and tofu salad from Foodsmiths!

 
some helper!
Checking the edges to see if it is level

Here we are at step 2. Placing the rocks, and the liner. You fill it a little. Backfill the edges, play around with the height of the edge.

Gloves are essential; hand tools: picks,  shovel, wheelbarrow, as well as a dolly to move the rocks!
I originally gathered the rocks using the trailer on my lawn tractor.

I had reluctant helpers today. It was cool and raining for much of the morning, Felix went in for a nap. Buster was my moral support.
My little buddy gave some grief to a praying mantis.

I found this little guy in the garden while digging my frog pond. Buster thought he might like to eat it, he chews happily on dragonflies and grasshoppers. I moved the mantis, picked it up after it walked off of my hand, saved it from Buster clutches, and it pinched me (see the video!). It looks amazing as its head rotates around watching Buster Brown.




This is my saga!
How to build a pond 1aHow to build a pond 1bHow to build a pond 1c | How to build a pond 2

2 comments:

W.C.Camp said...

I love those praying mantis walking stick bugs!! Still you are brave to let him walk on you. I like your pond and can't wait to see it finished! W.C.C.

Powell River Books said...

Easy as pie - not. A beautiful result. No room for a pond at my place, too much water. LOL - Margy