Sunday 16 August 2009

Muskoka Woodland Art Experience


Wood's End Studio hosted an event. We went early in the morning, before the crowds!

What a grand time we had. A fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity in an wonderful part of the Muskoka forest. Our we granddaughter was soooo tired, (teething?) but we made it around to see the sights.

Jennifer PIMENTEL: (left) With great joy, Jennifer greeted our girl. Josephine had never seen someone painting like this! Her Day Care provider has them doing many crafts - but this is the real thing. The artist does acrylic paint over pencil portraits. All of the artists were working on something within their display.

Jennifer believes that “perhaps through art we can better understand the lives of those around us.” www.shadyzign.com

We saw many incredible pieces of art. In a woodland setting with whimsical pieces, including the Teddy Bear Picnic! We could imagine our raccoons getting into the swing of things there.

We visited the woodlands. I do so dearly love and respect the artisans in our neck of the woods.
I only wish that I could buy a piece from all of them!

Josephine, 1 1/2 years old, had so much fun. All the artisans are suckers for a baby, too!
Here is Tom Green's display. He uses stained glass, glass blowing, and has many different pieces.


I bought a bug to cover up the holes in our screen. They are holes created by my late father's dog, made the worse with age! But the bugs are delightful.



The studio is beautiful, and the work varied. I am very glad we could support Habitat at the same time.

The grounds are amazing at Wood's End. With a fountain and scultpures. The water treatment in another part of the garden delighted our girl. Josephine was entranced with the water.

In another section I spotted the kids looking at something. I wondered what they were doing. Turns out Josephine was entranced. The water treatment is amazing. You can see the delight on Josephine's face!

The Enchanted Forest was beautiful. The website features more photos. They had sprayed garlic spray, to eliminate the mosquitoes, but I don't think it worked! We took a walk in, kept swatting, and saw some delightful displays.


All day we were singing the Teddy Bear's Picnic song. It ws so much fun. Many thanks to all who were there, and I just wish we could have bought pieces from everyone.

Barrelesque is an interesting concept (be careful if you Google it!). Using old whisky barrels, he creates incredible pieces, again their skills and talents amaze me. We keep telling our artisan friends that we are going to have to trade some thing in, since we have a small house and do not have any more room for all of the pieces we'd like to bring home!

James TOUGH
: Jim finds antique bourbon whiskey barrels, disassembles them, and creates beautifully crafted trays, boxes, wine racks, and candleholders showing the natural patina and curvature of the fine old oak.

If you missed the show.
Here are the participating artists in ‘The Woodland Art Experience’ 2009: (For a sampling of their art, click here.

This photo (left) is work from Gail Wilson, www.roundhouseglassart.com

but visiting her place is a must. I wrote about the Studio Tour previously, and featured a video of her delightful gallery.

I went to a Hospice Muskoka fundraiser, and wore my Penny Varney designs, Penny has my book in her store! She was exhibiting today, as well. I have matching earrings and pendant. My hubby thinks of her jewelry whenever a birthday or anniversary rolls around!www.pennyvarneygallery.com

Support your local artisans!

They will jump for joy if you do!

4 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

I enjoy art tours and you took some fun photos of your day. I sure hope it wasn't as humid there as it was here. Love the bug covering the screen. What a clever idea!

Elisabeth's bright side said...

What fine day, I especially loved the Teddy Bears Picnic!

Gem said...

A most excellent day out. I would have loved seeing all the art and a day out in beautiful nature tom boot!

Lorac said...

Looks like a great time for all! I love art shown outside in parks and such. So much fun to look around.