Wednesday 27 October 2010

Volunteers make the world go around

I have lauded those in Muskoka who continue to work hard on behalf of others. Moving closer to Ottawa, I see our citizens who perform these acts in many venues:
    I've been working on the blog for the Habitat for Humanity build site in Bala. It is called the Patty Parsons Project. Read the blog for more information! The semi-detached homes are almost ready, they began in May.

    I have seen their motto "a hand up, not a hand out". Sometimes many hands are necessary to make a project move forward. The planning, preparing, thinking it all out.


    After stuffing for 3 hrs. we stuffed ourselves

    I was happy to help prepare badges and stuff bags for the Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association Conference in Ottawa this week. Many hands make light work. Most of you know my mother died of cancer, and my father, a brain tumour. This journey is the topic of my book, and Hospice is the focal point of my volunteer work.
    Stuffing bags for conference attendees






    Linda Truglia, in black T, giving us training!
    Last year the Conference was in Winnipeg, a bit far for me, as a volunteer, to travel.Especially since I loathe leaving my family behind.

    After, good conversation with all!
    This year, I will be helping by moderating an interest group session (Long-Term Care), as well as being a room moderator on one afternoon for three sessions. It makes for an joyful time, with a generous spirit of contribution, allowing me to attend sessions in which I am interested.

    Why do these people volunteer? At a conference such as this, there are opportunities for networking. Some are regular Hospice or Palliative Care hospital volunteers.

    Others are looking for work, and to put this opportunity on a resume shows that you are hard-working, and dedicated. You can develop contacts who will give you advice.

    Also, to attend a conference, you can learn a lot about a topic, with front line workers, physicians, nurses, clinicians, and other volunteers who use their time to work well with others! 

    I found that volunteering at educational conferences kept me cutting edge, and up-to-date on current developments.

    At the end of my 'career', if you can call it that, there was much reward in accepting student teachers, mentoring new teachers, and delivering workshops to peers and parents of school-age students. I was just interviewed by a young lady who is writing an article on seniors using technology and social media. This gave me some perspective in that my years in the field have not gone unnoticed.

    BTW
    All dressed up for shopping,
    waiting in the bum chair
    for mommy and Gamma to get dressed.
    Many men and women my age are using the Internet for good, for fun, and to connect with peers, family and friends. That is the premise of her article, methinks!

    The Internet is, of course, how I heard about this conference. Young people do not realize how involved we were. My mother learned to use a computer at the ripe age of 50, at work, to create office newsletters  in 1975. I was so proud of her! She carried on a long tradition of volunteering in Toronto and Muskoka. I am glad to follow in her footsteps.

    I learned to use computers and piloted the computer-generated report cards a Carleton Board teacher invented in 1991. Time flies!
    Gamma, did you have to bring the camera?
    Where's my lunch?
    You make think me totally altruistic, but after finishing about 8:30 p.m. downtown, I was able to sleep over
    at the kid's house, and visit with them the next morning.
    A shop-till-you-drop at the mall, and lunch out with the 'girls', Caitlin and Isabelle (7 mos.!) was a nice treat.

    1 comment:

    Gill - That British Woman said...

    I keep meaning to start and volunteer but haven't got around to it. I was busy though this year with the church cookbook so I guess that's my excuse!!

    I love the B.U.M. thing they are a great things for babies.

    Gill