Sunday 12 July 2009

Muskoka goslings grow


Eddie and Eva in March, buried in snow on our dock, snoring gently, methinks.

With gratitude we have watched our geese (Eva & Eddie) arrive, on an icy lake that slowly melted. As the time passed, they disappeared, nesting. One late May afternoon Eva showed up with her goslings, but no Eddie. They mate for life and we shall never know what happened.

Here is a slideshow of the goslings as they have grown. I hope they last the tourist season. One seems less healthy than the others. It remains by her side more often than not, hesitates to eat as the others do.

The music is Denise Williams; Wade in the Water. We are both Jarvis choir alumni; she, of course, gave up her day job. I became a teacher! (Those who can't do; teach!) We sang at the Jarvis 200th Anniversary Alumni choir concert in 2007.


5 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great pictures of the goose and goslings. Nature is very brutal sometimes when we cannot find out what happened.

Jain said...

Knowing that they mate for life, the loss of a goose always strikes me as particularly sad. At least Eddie will live on in his children.

Lorac said...

Hi! Love your blog! I also love the geese. My family have a cottage on Kawagama Lake in Haliburton Highlands just outside Dorset. I also like to blog and post about cottage life

Powell River Books said...

That's a wonderful chronology to follow. I still haven't seen any geese near our cabin this year. Maybe they didn't nest near us again for some reason. So sorry to hear about Eddie. Hopefully she'll find a replacement mate for next year. - Margy

Unknown said...

How precious! But also sad about Eddie. I did not realize geese mated for life. Interesting! I always love goslings!