Thursday, 20 August 2026

Fall is in the air!

Chilly mornings...  I posted yesterday about finding two Monarch chrysalis. Yesterday afternoon I checked on it, and it is turning dark. That means it should eclose today! 


Something knocked over the branches of the hydrangea! I'd say Butch or Fred. Who knows?!


Soon the Freds will slumber! In the meantime...

Aug. 3, before I readjusted the angle of the camera.

   

 I don't know if Fred is teething! He's chewing on a carpet.

 


This was 13 years ago! This feeder eventually fell apart.

 

People on a nearby lake have complained that a bear knocked their bird feeder over.  I learned not to feed birds in summer here! Here we were in 2017!
This was a two-year-old sent away to find his own territory.

Ah, memories!

🛩Sad news.  UPDATE: Aug. 20
What a job these people do. Heroes doing search and rescue. There was no transponder in this home-built plane. 

9 comments:

Red said...

The critters leave all kinds of signs to say that they have visited your place.

RedPat said...

It was sad to hear that the pilot had died.

KarenW said...

It was sad to hear the pilot was found deceased. We had so hoped he was trying to find his way out of the woods to safety.
My monarch chrysalis has developed a dark spot today so I guess it's release is imminent too. This is the first one we rescued from sure death.

Jeanie said...

I"m putting my money on Butch!

Barbara said...

I just love this time of the year when Summer starts giving away to Fall. The cooler nights and mornings are wonderful.

Yes, that’s very sad about the Pilot being found.

Christine said...

Not ready for chilly weather.

Anvilcloud said...

I hope you capture the emergence.
That's a sad ending for that pilot.

MARY G said...

They do an amazing job and don't, in my opinion, get enough recognition. Re bears. One of our neighbours had one enter her kitchen where her baking was out and cooling. I have a steel door that I now keep closed and a window beside it, ditto. Yikes. I confess to putting bird food out, however. I love hummers. Their feeders swing from the eaves on long hooks or are at the second storey level.

DeniseinVA said...

The bear we had wandering through our neighborhood knocking bird feeders down about two years ago, I remember someone saying it was a two-year-old probably trying to find a new home. I shall miss your Freds when they go to sleep :) Sorry to hear about the pilot. Always send my thank-you's to these firefighters and rescuers.