Saturday 25 November 2023

Saturday's Critters

 We've settled into the beginnings of winter. 🍁Fall chores 2023 are done! Nov. 21st I had to shovel snow. The next things I have to think about, is where to set the trailcam that sits on a tripod. Once the ground freezes, there is no moving it. 

It is fun seeing tracks in the snow and on the frozen ground. 



I may have been wrong about Pickles. I have seen a doe around him, who is likely his mother. That makes me happy. He was happy I split the pumpkins for him.


The cardinal is still fighting that strange one he sees in the window.

 

cardinal from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

A/C, ever on the watch, wrote about having bird baths out, and the birds are susceptible to the cold when wet. I must say that I don't see them bathing in winter. They don't have the problems with dust and mites. They sure love to have a drink, though.

 

cardinal 2 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The fisher was happy to take one of the three apples JB threw out.
 

fisher 1 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I've moved the trailcam away from the neglected deer scrape, but the turkeys ambled to and fro.

 

Turkeys in the forest from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The beauty of having two cameras along a trail. I caught him twice. He wasn't interested in the pumpkin.

Bear Nov. 17 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The doe was more interested in the camera than the deer scrape. This is why I moved the camera.

deer scrape from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I harvested the pumpkin seeds, then took the pumpkin shell down to the trailcam. It was interesting that few of the critters liked it. The bear just waltzed past a sniff. It'll be another story when the snow falls!

While the bear eschewed the pumpkin, Butch did, but the deer like it. Coyote decided to pee near it.

 

pumpkin time from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We are saying farewell to the ducks, geese, and feathered friends, as they gather in flocks to fly south.

geese ducks Rideau Ferry from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Thanks to Eileen who hosts: Saturday Critters # 519 !

11 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Those Cardinals are always fighting with their reflections, silly birds.
I love the turkeys, bear and the fisher. Cool critter post.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Could it not be that the Cardinal is catching bugs? I have Magpies doing that around the edges of my window sometimes...YAM xx

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

The school where I work as a tutor has reflective windows and the room where I work has a reflective window right next to a tree and sometimes a cardinal goes crazy trying to get the other bird. The kids love it.

I love your trailcams. All I get is stray cats and a few squirrels and rabbits.

Jenn Jilks said...

No bugs out, YAM! It's - 9 C. at night, barely above zero in the daytime!

Anvilcloud said...

That's what I was thinking, that we heat water mostly for drinking. Glad you confirmed that.

Elephant's Child said...

How I love your critters. Thank you.

Mae Travels said...

Your creatures this week are amazingly varied. So many shadows that are really interesting.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Lowcarb team member said...

Great collection of critters :)

All the best Jan

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm glad the young one isn't alone. That'll help.

We had a cardinal take issue with my husband's driver side rear view mirror once. He ended up having to cover it lol

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jenn :=)
The trail cameras catch such a lot of creatures roaming around your property. I enjoy watching them. They are all creatures I don't see here.
All the best
Sonjia.

William Kendall said...

Time for that bear to settle in for a long nap.