Tuesday 14 November 2023

Repairs: sympathetic restoration or an honest repair?

 We watch The Repair Shop, and I heard them discussing this topic: a 'sympathetic restoration' or an 'honest repair.' Often you should not repair something with the years behind it to look as if it is new. That is a sympathetic restoration.  

Hemmings even has a definition in the automotive context: "Somewhere between fully restored and all-original is the sympathetic restoration, usually implemented to preserve as much of a car's originality as possible, while preventing it from damage and deterioration."

Then, an honest repair makes the item salvageable. It doesn't have to look pristine. My nest box was beyond both. My plan was to switch out the destroyed box with the one of two down at the frog pond. 

I'd moved this old nest box back in Feb., 2023. We had a duck nest in it in spring (Wood ducking). I was so happy. I hadn't managed to secure it properly, and the kids helped me put in more screws. I'd sympathetically repaired it with a little wooden gate on a hinge to keep the saw dust in for the ducklings.


This was an honest repair. This is an older nest box design and the wood shavings kept falling out.

This is what it looked like in 2021 (below, left). The other photo was in June of this year, after the bears ripped it apart. [Momma Bear and Two Cubs, June 6th


They sure did a number on it. Neither an honest repair nor a sympathetic restoration would work. My goal was to replace it with the other one, but higher up the tree. There were two cubs and they seemed eager to help Momma get into that box.


 

Here it is, I maneuvered the ladder there, having dragged it to the back 40 on the wheelbarrow. It fell off several times, but I kept on trucking.


First, to remove the old box. I climbed the ladder and removed the top screw. Next removed the bottom screw waiting for it to fall off the tree. It did not. I'd used a lag bolt during my honest repair trying to attach it to the tree, but I forgot. That was a bit of a challenge. I needed a different tool.


I ended up ripping it apart, after I got the bolt out and it fell off the tree.

Down it came. You can see the little hatch marks where the baby ducks climb up the inside wall when they move out of the box. The replacement box, repaired by Bob at Gilligalous for me, was ready to go. 

I'd worked so hard on hanging it. Up the ladder I went. It is tricky to rest a ladder on the tree. The ladder is flat, the tree round. You cannot just use one screw at the top, and one at the bottom. The boxes are made from old barn board and too heavy. I'd screwed top and bottom to another piece of wood in the old location. 

I left it there for the day. The sun is so low on the horizon that it is chilly. It snowed on Monday, this was Sunday. Happily, no freezing rain (pink).

Having done some thinking, I may have to tie off the ladder somehow. 


I shall ponder it further, waiting for a slight warm up in temperatures this week. Today, the high is only 5 C. Maybe tomorrow or Thursday?

BTW Tom: Yes, I mentioned that I have native phragmites in the frog pond. There are also invasive phragmites introduced from Europe. You can read more here: I have researched it, as I was curious. There are two different species.

12 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Running repairs is the state of play! YAM xx

RedPat said...

I love watching the Repair Shop. I wish that Steve could drop by here and fix a few things for us.
I'm sure the ducks will appreciate all your efforts.

Barbara Rogers said...

Difficult work, merging the square peg and the round hole- in this case trunk of tree! Be careful!!

DUTA said...

Beware of climbing ladders! I'm also like that: ladders, screws,tools..great satisfaction from achieving some repair or replacement, encouraged by youtube tutorials.
I'm trying to reeducate myself . It's not worth the risk of falling.

Rain said...

Jenn! I love the name change of your blog!!! ☺

Nancy J said...

Your ladder skills are to be commended so highly !!! The boxes themselves are so worthy of any repair, and the sturdy wood underneath looks good. Hope the weather holds up for you to finish it all. We have the Scotch Mist here this morning !!! I often wonder, has it travelled all the way from where my Mum was born??!!!

Elephant's Child said...

We watch the Repair Shop too, and love it. I am in awe at their skills. And yours.

Divers and Sundry said...

Putting up a nest box sounds like such a simple thing lol Why is everything so much harder than I thought it would be?

I like your differentiation between the different types of repairs. Thanks!

Red said...

Yes, trying to use a ladder on a tree is tricky.

Kay said...

Oh gracious! That was a LOT of work. I’m always amazed at all you do.

Anvilcloud said...

You are an impressive lady.

William Kendall said...

A lot of work.