Monday 20 November 2023

Perth Market: Nov. 18

 We thought we'd go to the last market of the season. A special one, amongst the decorated trees in the Crystal Palace. Since the regular market usually begins at 8 a.m., off we went for 8:30. 

The parking lot was only half full. The library building, and the big Muskoka chair easily seen.




The pigeons were flying in flocks.

Vendors outside were clearly still setting up. We were befuddled. We thought the regulars might be inside, but it was the same deal. We put on our masks and went indoors. 

The trees are all decorated. They are lit from 4 - until dawn. I was hoping to get some photos. I snapped this one (left). 

Then, a large man, a vendor carrying boxes, said to us, "We don't open until 10. You're only getting in the way." How nasty. Where is his holiday spirit? Grumpy wump. 

We went back home. Joseph Brian went back in for 10 a.m. I didn't need the anxiety, I stayed home. 

Good thing, as my social anxiety would've been through the roof. Way too many people for me to face. 

There are many events where they welcome special needs guests, like kids with autism who cannot stand the hustle and bustle, to visit at a quiet time. That would be ideal for me. The noise, the people bumping into one, and crowding, just set me off.












15 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Glad to see the big market there...but way too many people crowded together! I agree with your choice. Though many booths were outside, the portion under the roof was squeezed tight. Our big farmers market in Asheville has many of those huge sheds, and sometimes you can drive right through them to find the stalls with the kinds of produce you want. Other times, lots of walking to do.

RedPat said...

I find large crowds make me uncomfortable now. I think that it is probably as a result of the covid isolation that we all went through.

Divers and Sundry said...

A prominent open hours sign would've been helpful. Some kind of helpful staff person wouldn't be too much to ask. I'd've probably left and not come back if that was the greeting I received. He would've made me feel too awkward. I don't need that.

Looks pretty, though.

eileeninmd said...

The market looks fun! Have a great day and happy week ahead.

Nancy J said...

The spoken word cannot be taken back, that man needs to learn to moderate his tone or take some lessons in politeness!!! Hope JB scored some goodies after that terrible start.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

That looks like quite the event. I bet Barb would go crazy there buying Christmas items!

Elephant's Child said...

I am with you about big crowds. They make me incredibly uncomfortable. Our supermarkets are now having a 'quiet hour' and we have adopted it with relish. The lights are dimmed, the music turned off and any announcements are only urgent ones rather than the usual advertisements.

Hena Tayeb said...

What a lovely market!

Anvilcloud said...

Was the last market also the opening of the crystal palace? Sue said we should visit, but now I don't know about that.

Tom said...

...a market that opens at 10? That unusual!

Christine said...

Looks fun

Far Side of Fifty said...

Not a very welcoming fellow:(

Jeanie said...

I did a market this weekend too and it was OK, being outside but I'm getting edgy with the crowds these days, too. Still, they're fun. But that fellow -- no spirit at all. If he wanted you out, the least he could have done was be polite when he said it!

DeniseinVA said...

I’m with you on the grumpy wump and the crowds.

William Kendall said...

Aside from a couple of weeks around the holidays, the main market here is year round. Indoors until the end of April.