Friday 14 July 2023

Tornado in Ottawa!

 Just when you wonder what you'll blog about, this happens! We were happily watching tennis, easing into the day, when we had two alerts. One on the phone, the other on the TV. 


Being prudent, I had a shower after my workout, just in case we lost power. (Which we didn't, whew!)
There was a first line of thunder and lightning, followed by a second wave. I texted Caitlin, and they'd had the warnings in Ottawa, too. They were fine, and even attended the Goo Goo Dolls Bluesfest show that night! 

We ended up with nearly 10 mm of rain (0.38"). It was wonderful to have rain, but the thunder was quite powerful and worrisome. 

Storm Jul 13 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Even while we were watching tennis, the radar shows the lightning strikes as it crossed south eastern Ontario. I like watching this online, as it lets me know what is headed our way, and when it is done.

storm from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

There were 125 homes damaged in Ottawa, roofs ripped off, broken windows, and trees down. Barrhaven, in Nepean, is a section in the south of the city. 

11 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Wow, a tornado is such a force of nature that is completely wild, can't be tames, and we don't even know where it's going to appear until it does. I had a heavy thunderstorm here about bedtime, and our elec. flickered but stayed on. Just need to go round and reset the clocks. You didn't mention that anyone was hurt, so I'm glad of that. But what an interruption in one's life!

Olga said...

I saw tornado activity in the Chicago area on the news and heard that they were hitting Ontario as well. Very scary stuff!!

DUTA said...

Never a dull moment!

RedPat said...

It is good that no one was injured.

Nancy J said...

Scary, lots of continuous thunder and then that damage, some folks would be keeping inside. So thankful you are safe .

Elephant's Child said...

Very scary indeed. I am glad you escaped.
And hooray for some rain.

Anvilcloud said...

Living near Sarnia for so long, we had the occasional tornado in the region, but I did expect to have them here.

Red said...

That was some very nasty weather. I hope no one was hurt.

Kay said...

Oh MY GOSH! My daughter in Chicago had a tornado alert last week and she said they were all getting warnings on their computer, phone, etc. It was spooky, but they were safe. Thank goodness. This is so scary.

Jeanie said...

Yikes. That's intense. I'm glad all you knew were safe. Tornadoes are so freaky.

William Kendall said...

I saw the alert on my phone.