Saturday 1 July 2023

Saturday's Critters

 Well, it is Canada Day. Joseph Brian dressed my wooden, carved bear. He's a little the worse for wear. Poor Frosty's hat needs replacing, as well. I've asked someone to make me on, but haven't heard back. Here is Frosty from 2014. We are all the worse for wear these days!

 

I went out and dressed the fence. My deerfly cap on, in the heat the mosquitos were minimal and I was happy to have a shower afterwards and come in to the air conditioning. 


I've kept my LGBTQ flag out there. 

We will watch celebrations from Parliament Hill on TV. When I sang with the Ottawa Choral Society, we'd be asked to perform at noon. The kids were small, and we took them down. It was a fun celebration, with lots of singing and minimal speechifying. 

We're still facing smoke issues. It makes for a sad sunrise. 


 

Fox Jun 25 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The red fox did a quick run past the lower deck.

I had fun with the video yesterday, with the turkey hen defending her poults from good old Fred!

Fred from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

It was a great storm, 9 mm. June 26. I think Fred is still pregnant, but I'm not sure. Fred looks more like a wet muskrat than a groundhog!

Silverback coyote from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

He has a poop. Then scrapes the ground, glaring at the camera.

doe a deer from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I am still waiting for the first fawn to appear on camera. I shall have to be patient! June 22.

Last year, the first fawn was spotted July 3rd. (Get it?!  Spotted!) July 12, 2018
The backyard is looking green. Fred is still under the deck. The trailcam has picked up Butch, a fox, a skunk, and now the turkey family.

turkey poults from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We've a turkey family who graced our trailcam. Fred peek out from under the deck. Fred has to be giving birth soon! 

Saturday's Critters # 498 <= Thank you for hosting, Eileen. 

17 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Wow! You sure have a lot of wildlife up close to the house.
What a beautiful area you live in!

William Kendall said...

Happy Canada Day! I'll stop in at a museum and take in the concert at the NAC.

RedPat said...

You will be overrun with young creatures.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

So loved watching your footage in recent posts too. A turkey with many poults got surprised by Ned one early morning. Luckily he was on leash, but I've never seen so many. They scattered in all directions. I was interested in seeing your wolf...twice now I've sighted one but it is very skittish. I have three baby ground hogs around the front. The dogs have discouraged them from the back yard. Thanks for sharing, Jen.

Anvilcloud said...

We have many flags flapping out front.

We once did the Parliament Hill thing — late night, buses, walking, the works. we watched the festivities right by the eternal flame. It was great, but it was 25 year ago. I don’t even want to leave the house today in little CP. 🥸

Tom said...

...Happy Canada Day!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
I can't wait to so lots of groundhog sprogs!!!! Happy Canada day to you both. YAM xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Happy Canada Day, Jenn. I thought of you this morning when I was sharing that your country is now celebrating its 156th year. Frosty looked good back then. And I am SO glad you are still flying your LGBTQ flag. We need to support each and every one of them, regardless of their status, because in my country, the Supreme Court is trying to make them second class citizens.

You have a lot of critters in your world. I am always amazed.

Linda said...

We will watch the ceremony from Ottawa too. Hot, sticky and smokey today, only brief times outdoors. Have a Happy Canada Day and a great weekend.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It looks like the red fox moves fast like the coyote. Enjoy your weekend!

Elephant's Child said...

Happy Canada Day - and thanks for the critters.

Red said...

Do you have any crows or magpies? I have lots of them. If I had a trail cam it would be busy with magpies.

Jeanie said...

Happy Canada Day! We are having our fireworks for the fourth tonight so I'll pretend they are Canada day fireworks. Love your spotted fawn pun!

Cloudia said...

Happy Canada Day! We are celebrating your wonderful nation as well. Aloha!

Crafty Green Poet said...

I hope you see your first fawn of the year soon!

Betty J. Crow said...

I LOVED seeing the videos. You sure do have plenty of wildlife around your house. Have a wonderful week.

DeniseinVA said...

Well, my fingers were running faster than my brain Jenn. I meant to wish you A Happy Canada Day, even though I am a bit late. Sorry I didn't get to you on the actual day.