Thursday 9 March 2023

Inside and outside

Inside

Mar. 8th was my youngest's 38th 🎂birthday, but we are estranged and I cannot wish him a happy birthday😢. He is gainfully employed, and has a purpose in life. That is all that matters. That gives me peace.

Beginning the morning with my puzzles, I am having fun with this one: Free SexagintaQuattuordle ~ words unsolved: 3. You can see the three Xs. It is tricky, and fun to try with my morning coffee. 

Then there is Canuckle and Wordle! 

I gave up embroidering for a long time. I've been trying to sit and craft. It's tough at night, and I have to count stitches like stink. Also, since the last show we began (Bäckström) has Swedish subtitles, I cannot do both. We've watched 4 episodes, and we're fascinated. You can truly compare Hollywood murder mysteries and contrast it with a different police culture. It's pretty intense. 

This is the embroidery I began for the kids' 10th wedding anniversary, in 2015 or so. I think I may have to aim for their 20th! Isn't that funny?! It's picky work, and I haven't had clients until lately. It was my activity when chatting.

My orchid is setting THREE bud branches. I tried to take a photo, but it did not work well. The placemat behind it helped out. There is one bud, but more on the way. 

I was sitting writing, when Nutmeg stared out the window and began growling. This is highly unusual behaviour. Annabelle used to growl at thunder, JB reminded me. Turns out it was the propane truck backing up the driveway! What a cat. 

Outside

DRS is still pregnant! We've 8 red squirrels, as I've written, but we live on 16 acres, and they will spread out back into the forest, once I take the feeders down when the other mammals are more active. (Bears!)
Anyway, this one has been having a feed. Eating for 3 - 5, the research tells me. They, like deer, are only fertile for 24 hours. Most squirrels are pregnant for 5 - 8 weeks, depending upon the specific species. 

Look at the little baby bump! It moves around – it's little sac. 

 

pregnant red squirrel from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We had a storm. It was something cleaning it out, but the deer didn't wait!

 

sidewalk deer 1 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Once I cleared the sidewalk, they were happier.
 

sidewalk deer 2.mp4 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Next job was the driveway. I wear ear plugs. They help.

 

snowblower March from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The next day, there were many tails.The cats went out for a run, then came back in. It is still chilly.

 

morning tails from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Things are getting a little testy out there! They are hungry, grumpy, and are waiting for spring. This is how they fight. On their hind legs, whacking with their hooves, ears back!


19 comments:

Tom said...

...man oh man, your snow is deep.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh goodie little baby squirrels. Loved seeing the carefully stepping deer, and a turkey that practically swam himself over the snow! Then cat had a very shor explore of deep snow! Thanks for clearing all those paths for human and animals!

RedPat said...

Love the little pregnant squirrel.

Karen said...

We had a squirrel in the HOUSE yesterday. Not a clue where it came in. The cat chased it but she came back up from the basement and it was still chittering away. I hope it had the good sense to get out the same way it got in.

Nancy J said...

Love the red squirrels, and the snow blower, what a great machine, much better than shovelling to clear the path.

Cloudia said...

How nice that you are being protected from backing trucks!
I wish you a progressively better outcome with your son. And a happy day my friend

Penelope Notes said...

The squirrels are so cute. Wow, good for you, operating a snow-mower and clearing that sidewalk!

Red said...

The puzzles sound interesting. I will look for them.

Kathy G said...

It's always a shame when we have to detach from someone we love. You are handling it very gracefully.

Jeanie said...

A growling cat! Now that's interesting. I like your embroidery but I have no idea what your colorful game is! It looks intriguing.

Christine said...

Well happy birthday to your youngest anyway!

DeniseinVA said...

Sad to read about the estrangement Jenn. I have seen this in my own family and way too much time went by, so I hope it gets resolved for you soon. I have heard of Wordle, but Canuckle is new to me. The only game I do, and it’s not this kind of game, is my online puzzles and scrabble. I love those doing those. Your embroidery project will make a great 20th anniversary gift, very pretty! Nutmeg sounds like a great guard kitty! Cute videos of the squirrels, and of deer with the turkey wandering through, and seeing you clearing all that snow!!!! Good to see you have the machinery but still one heck of a hard task. Great action photo of the deer! That snow looks magical but I hope you get to see more springlike weather soon.

Angie said...

Jenn - so sorry that you are estranged from your son. It must be difficult - good for you to find some peace. I laughed out loud about stitching during a program with subtitles. They are not compatible - my husband has learned not to choose such programs when I am deep in a project! Adorable pregnant squirrel!

Haddock said...

I have not yet tried Canuckle but I love Wordle

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I've been doing wordle for some time and did my first quordle this morning.

I hope you enjoy cold and snow, you sure have a lot of it.l

Patio Postcards said...

Such a variety of wild life. I don't think I've ever been close enough to a red squirrel to know if they are carrying the next batch of little ones. There's a lot of black & grey squirrel love going on in our yard right now & the Canadian Geese are starting to pair off.

Linda said...

Your cross stitch is lovely, even if it is slow going. We were estranged from our youngest for 10 or 12 years. I had to work hard at building up a relationship again. We don't see her much but at least exchange texts now.

Jenn Jilks said...

That is interesting, Linda. I've no hope, though. He told me not to contact him. His siblings keep track of him for me.

Divers and Sundry said...

Families can be so awkward. My eldest and I aren't estranged but rarely have contact. You just never know how things will turn out when they're growing up...

I used to embroider and enjoyed it. It's been sooo long, though, I don't think I even still have the supplies.

We have gray squirrels, but I've never seen a red one. That snow is deep! The deer up on their hind legs!!! Thanks for that photo :)