Wednesday 11 January 2023

Skiing, Walkies, Gun Range Update

🏔 The west coast of Canada has been as messy as the east. Nothing like the California floods, thankfully. Jess was worried about their ski hills, what with their rain, but all is well after that Atmospheric River. They are skiing up a storm out west. The girls are taking cross country ski lessons. It's a terrific ski club. Jess teaches skiing, as well, as part of the family program. It is a great way for the littles to get out and about. 

⛷These are photos from the family photo stream. First Bryony! 


Cluny was in another race weekend. It's a great family past time. 


They have had a family skate! I miss them. We had such a great visit last summer.

⛄Here we are in Ontario, settling in to actual winter temperatures. Snow is on the way, they tell us.


🏚 Here, on Crumbly Acres, I went down to the frog pond. We've been in the deep freeze, and I continue to bundle up while doing my vegetation management work. It's warm enough working, but walking I have to bundle up.

Chad Coyote seems to be avoiding the trailcams, and walking on the ice. This trail goes right across the frog pond. I am reluctant to go on the ice, so don't worry! I've fallen and wrecked a knee on the pond. It's never been the same since.


Well, not all of them avoid trailcams. The first one had darker colours. Jan. 9, at 3 a.m.

2 coyotes from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Cinnamon seems to have had trouble coming down like a firefighter. That is his usual method of disembarking! 


Cinnamon up a tree from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Jan. 9th, we went to the frogpond.

Cinnamon icy walkies from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

He took his time coming in after our walk. He had stuff to do.

 

cinnamon from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

🏇Proposed Gun Range

We still await the results of the proposed rezoning for the gun range. In the meantime, they decided to cover the issue: CTV News 📹   We await a report or two, or three. One is a Peer Review of the Acoustic Report, after which Council will vote on rezoning. Citizens want reports on the clean up, as well. Years of OPP discharging weapons. It is difficult being patient, but that is the best way to ensure it is done properly. 

Sadly, the news reporter didn't do his homework. He didn't even mention the two thoroughbred horse farms nearby, including Ian Millar's farm. It is all about the noise. I heard firing there📹 , Jan. 3rd, when I was out working. 

CTV News 📹 

14 comments:

Tom said...

...there's no skiing here today.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Cinn at the bottom of the tree... 'nothing to see here, that went exactly as planned'... Crikey though, I hope those little pawsies don't get frostbite! YAM xx

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh Cinnamon is so cute figuring out how to get down from the tree...and his ring tail reminds me of another friend that must be hunkered down in the cold.

William Kendall said...

Cinnamon isn't too graceful in that descent.

Divers and Sundry said...

I hope the horse farms (and everybody else) doesn't end up losing the noise war.

Elephant's Child said...

I have a brother who skis. The one and only time I tried I discovered I was faster on my face.
Good luck with gun range. Not surprised that the reporter's homework was sketchy.

Cloudia said...

You intrepid Canadians can handle it! Best wishes

RedPat said...

Your kids out west look so happy!

Nancy J said...

My winter hols were on the farm, feeding out hay and silage and helping milk cows, summer ones were hay making, taking tea, and scones to the workers. What marvellous opportunities they have there, great times together for them all. Your cats, dare devils on the frozen ice ponds, and clambering down skills, need a few lessons maybe.We had one small kitten that regularly needed a ladder rescue!!!

Red said...

Cross country skiing is the greatest. we have excellent conditions here this winter.

Anvilcloud said...

Poor cat had some difficulty with the tree.

Jeanie said...

I don't know what made me think about you the other day and the gun place but I was wondering if you had any news. Not much, it sounds like. I can't imagine what it would be like with a horse farm there -- they must be crazy with that.

Kay said...

I thought that coyote was a wolf. I'm glad you keep your kitties safe with predators around.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How sweet your family is into winter sports. Got a laugh at Cinnamon.

You need a good reporter to cover your Gun Range.