Friday 25 June 2021

It's been a sad decision


 I have come to the decision to give my canoe away to the neighbours who let me berth it in their bay for a number of years.  I'm at the point where I have to work up to canoe rides. A half hour is the max for the first time, then I should increase my time in it.  

This was my most amazing canoe ride on Otty Lake. A canoe ride marathon: 9 km! <= THAT was a trip. I'd worked up to that distance, but no more. It's not worth back pain for days.

There are so many happy memories canoodling. I was a bit verklempt as I thought about it. Beginning with my first canoe, bought second hand from a kiddie camp when I was 15. I taught my kids to canoe in it! Here they are, back in Bala. 




The grandies haven't wanted to canoe in a couple of years. Now, they have gone canoe camping all over southern Ontario and in Algonquin Park. My canoe is too tippy for me with the girls, anyway. I bought it from the previous house owners. My old one, in Bala, was just about tip-proof! 


I used to wheel it back and forth to its berth, spring and fall.

 These days, I cannot sit for long, my back hurts too much. I love the wildlife, turtles, frogs and water snakes.

You can hear the birds on the creek that leads into the lake.

Canoeing on Jebbs Creek from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


July, 2012 
 

Loon on Otty Lake, Lanark County from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Long Lake

I remember gunnel bobbing, and twice in one day fell and hit my nose. Aye, youth! Long Lake is 2 km long, and I would do the full circle by August.

   

My most epic canoe ride was on a Monday morning, on a rock, sunning itself... It was happy the tourists had gone home.


 
2008

   

This bay was my favourite part of Long Lake. We could see the rocks from the cottage, and the meltwater shone in the sun in spring.

 

Jesse on his way for a canoodle.
Josee waiting for her ride!

A fall trip on the lake.
Life on the lake has changed. The motor boats and jetskis have changed the lake. People chasing loons, and each other. The power and the speed of boats, especially on these small lakes, has changed lake culture. 



We're doing pretty well today. I'm feeling human. I had three meals yesterday. A miracle. We may do Gramma Camp next week. JB isn't too bad. Still cannot use his one arm, has a few hot flashes from his Lupron, and his sore neck, but we're managing! Thank you for hanging in there with me. 
We are Windsor fine, upright and breathing! (A story for another day!)

14 comments:

Tom said...

...the loon is a treat!

Linda said...

You will miss your canoe, but always have tge memories. We gave up ours a few years ago when my osteoarthritis in my knees got really badm which led to 2 knee surgeries, Now I enjoy watching the grandkids in their kayaks,

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
It can be hard to let go of this sort of history - at least the chance of creating more of it - but as you say, health and commonsense must reign.

Glad you are doing better and okay otherwise! YAM xx

William Kendall said...

It sounds like the appropriate decision.

Jeanie said...

That's a lovely thing to do and I'm sure they are very grateful. Maybe they'll even let you take it out on occasion for a quick paddle. I know they'll appreciate it.

Anvilcloud said...

Yes, there is something to be said both for canoodling and canoeing. I presume we have spellcheck to thank for that, but please don't change it. :)

RedPat said...

Changes. Not always fun but probably a good plan in the long run.

Nancy J said...

I know that feeling, as we went through all the emotions and memories when Hugh finally decided that we would not be camping again, Tents, gas stoves, ropes, all the cooking gear, and then his trout fishing gear, he still wishes he was younger and could go into the outback again. I am so happy we can stay home and drive without a loaded trailer, quad bike and all the gear and food for 2 weeks. Love your video memories. Hang in there, .XXXX

Red said...

It's wise to give up the canoeing but replace it with something else.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i wish it was better for you. i know that i have always enjoyed being by myself. meaning ... i don't enjoy going where the hubs does ... i wanna go a certain direction. and he prefers another. maybe it is a bit of control kind of things but i just see birds or critters i wanna see up closer. ( ;

Elizabeth Edwards said...

oh, i have to come back and say, i just noticed your loon video. love that. my hubby will love it. he loves listening to them. i wonder if i sit outside playing it over and over ...do u think loons (not crazy people, LOL!! the bird would make me more happy) will come to visit? wouldn't that be awesome.

The Furry Gnome said...

Glad you're feeling human! Canoeing is such a joy if you're comfortable in it, though I remember one fateful 36k day when I was ready to quit!

Karen said...

I can't paddle a canoe anymore either. However, I can do the kayak just fine! There are kayaks for us to use at the cottage, but I'm going to buy my own this summer. I live next to a river for goodness sake. Love the snapper shot.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

It is sad to give away your canoe. I love the Loon and turtles.
Have a happy weekend!