Thursday 18 February 2021

Forest walkies in the snow

 Poor JB. He was going into the drug store, so I asked for some eye liner, just for fun! I looked it up on the drug store website and found a brand. As if I care, but it points him in the right direction. He's really good at women's products. They usually pounce on him to give him help. I think he ought to tell them he is non-binary and it's for himself! 

Where am I going to wear it? OH, I know. The hair salon called, I'd missed an appointment in January, due to our shut down. I have an appointment in two weeks, in March. My regular young woman is off on Maternity Leave, so that will be fun. I'm not doing too badly with my scissors, though. I did a practice run, for fun. 

I'm having a massage today, too! I am spoiled rotten.


🎶🎶🎶It's a beautiful day in the neighbourhood!

I still have my crisp edges! I met JB, returning from town, it was a bit tight. Can you see him?

I thought I'd help JB and tamp down his walking path. I gave up on that part. We may get another storm at the end of the week! It was really good exercise... 

Scott's arbour!

Picture this, I'm walking down the path and Otto and Stan turkey were on this dead tree. They grew quite irritable with me walking by. They flew before I could grab a photo! When they fly, they are massive, and the sound of their wings is amazing.

The frog pond...

It struck me that these are a pair of photos that Anvilcloud could fix. I had no idea if it was in focus or not, at the time. It's just too bright, and I didn't have my reading glasses. The first is foreground focused, the next, background. sigh. 


It was hard slogging. It's pretty deep snow!



Home and safe. Nutmeg was on the railing in the sunshine, to the left of the door!

When I arrived back at the house, my t-shirt was soaked with sweat, my pants were soaked from snow, snowshoes were snowy, and I put my boots on the floor vent after my hot shower. 

Well, despite overnight temperatures, Oregano Feb 16  was back for a bite of food. He was back last night around 8 p.m., too. 

 

 There is more snow on the way! What the heck. It helps keep an even temperature for our plants. The freeze and thaw is the worst for our gardens. Our farmer neighbours down the road are happy with the snow cover. It protects the land. They wrote on Facebook:

Although some of you may not be happy with all the recent winter weather, it is a blessing for us farmers. We suffered a severe drought last summer and went into this winter with very few water reserves. With no ice cover on the hay fields this year and this blanket of snow, we shouldn't see too much winter kill on the crops. Farmers always referred to a good snow cover as poor man's fertilizer, it has nitrogen in it. An added benefit is when it melts it will soak into the ground and give our soil some much needed moisture. In the end it will help us continue to put good healthy food on your table and everyone will be happy.

Also,

It is also really good for our maple sugar bush. And it helps keep the ground colder, which can help prolong the season on a year like this with little to no frost in the ground.



12 comments:

Tom said...

...what a winter wonderland with the sun!

Anvilcloud said...

For those photos, your aperture was probably wide open to get enough light, and a wide aperture reduces depth of field. A small aperture would have probably got it all in focus. I took our little compact camera out yesterday and made huge mistakes with it.

carol l mckenna said...

eye liner???? You are too funny ~ What a great husband you have!

Oregano is a beautiful kitty and amazed she/he has survived.Great snow photos ~ More snow expected tonight and tomorrow here in MA ~ Did see crocuses popping up in the yard yesterday ~

Enjoy ~

Moment by moment,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Nancy J said...

Moisture after the thaw, will be so welcome it seems. Deep snow must be so hard to walk in, worse than wet sand I guess, no wonder a hot shower was on the list.And sending JB for eyeliner, how could you?

RedPat said...

You certainly got your exercise!

Cloudia said...

Glad you are spoiled. Wonderful pics, J!

DUTA said...

I'm glad if something is good for the soil, plants and critters, but I'm interested first and foremost into what's good for me and humans. Well, cold, heavy storms/rains/snow - it's far from good for me.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your snow is prettier than ours! You have way more than we do! I need a haircut too...I have not been to the hair salon in over a year! My daughter hacked some of it off last September ...I will wait until April I guess:)

William Kendall said...

Now all we'll need in a few weeks is a slow and orderly melt.

Red said...

Okay, now about that eyeliner or did I miss something! Did JB get your eyeliner???

Gaelyn said...

Your snowy yard is beautiful, as are you with or without eyeliner.

Kay said...

These are such beautiful photos, Jenn. A massage sounds wonderful and I think you did a fabulous job with your haircut.