Wednesday 25 November 2020

The turkey incident

 JB went walkies, and came back to tell me there were turkey feathers. A lot of turkey feathers. Curious, I donned my coat and threw on my boots.

My poor apple tree has split. It's a goner. The evergreen, I transplanted. When we moved here, they had been cutting this part of the front yard, keeping it grassy. They'd blasted through a beautiful sumac patch, and they are dying. But I digress.

Here we are. Quite a few feathers, which I picked up. The tracks led down the hill on Oliver's Lot.
A few more feathers.

It's not hard to track them in the snow, which will melt with impending rain Thursday.
Another pile of feathers...
If you look carefully, you can see the marks of the wings as the coyote dragged it away.
There was very little blood.
It seems as if there were several coyotes, with spots where they ate their respective share. 

Surprisingly, nothing remained that I could see. No feet or anything but feathers. The coyote did poop right on camera. Stay tuned!


Snow shovelled, walkies done, we nestled in for the afternoon. Reading Andrew King's new book (a birthday present), JB settled in. I'm reading Obama's new book, A Promised Land.

IT's dark so early, 4:30-ish, I'm happy to put the lights on!

After dinner, we've been watching a series we bought, Unforgotten, set in the UK, investigating cold cases. We just finished The Sandham Murders, it has subtitles, which JB needs anyway. The scenery is beautiful, set on a cottage country-type island.
Unforgotten

Even Nutmeg cam into the living room with us. She was a lap cat, but since her fall infection, and all the meds we had to give her, she's distrustful. She'll come around!

We are in the middle of another snow storm. I don't mind it. What I do mind is that it's bringing rain after the snowfall. It's always a challenge to figure out when to use the snowblower or not. Winter, bring it on!

10 comments:

Tom said...

...this this was in the US, I'd say that someone had an early Thanksgiving dinner.

DUTA said...

Very sad, with only feathers left of the turkeys!

RedPat said...

It just started to rain here. Poor turkey!

William Kendall said...

It's part of nature, after all.

Gaelyn said...

Everything has to eat. Thanks, I felt like I was with you following tracks and feathers.

Anvilcloud said...

I love Unforgotten. I understand that COVID delayed the most recent season but that it will go ahead -- or maybe has started already, I can't remember. never heard of The Sandham Murders. Maybe I'll look around. we are still watching New Tricks.

Christine said...

Nature takes its toll.

Karen said...

Coyote's will be well fed for a few days. They'll leave the deer alone.

Red said...

You are keeping good tabs as to what is going on in the neighborhood.

Angie said...

Jenn - the circle of life. One thing I enjoy about the winter is to be able to figure out these "stories" from the tracks in the snow! Like you, I wish it would just snow and keep snowing, rather than melt and rain and snow and melt and rain ...