Saturday 28 November 2020

Deer and her twins

They are sad-looking in the snow.

deer in the snow from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

After the storm,  the critters were hungry. The doe with twins came along out our front window. I'm glad I didn't clear off the garden. They are trimming the plants and weeds nicely for me.


The male yearling always seem to want want momma wants. 



They scrounge anything: dead weeds, lilac saplings.
 

hungry doe from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Nov. 27

The fawns been on solid foods for months, born in May-ish! 
This was late August.

The male yearling thought he might like a feed. Momma wasn't having any of it! 

doe and twins from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The next day, I spotted a buck keeping a close watch on a doe, who is likely going into heat sometime soon.


The mating dance is an interesting one. They mated right in the backyard while I videotaped it last year. A bit TMI, but that is life. In the following video, she is urinating on her ankle glands to put her scent out. The males do this, as well.

doe marking from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Here is a buck with pickle stabber antlers. Just a young one.

pickle stabber buck from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

This doe made a good stab at the pumpkin. I love how they whack at and manipulate the pumpkins. I know a lot of places that have rescue animals take pumpkin donations from locals for the pigs, goats, etc.

doe pumpkin from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Visit more critters: 

Saturday's Critters #363

13 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I always enjoy seeing the deer! It is great your webcam catches so many deer on your property. The hunting is still going on here, I think our deer have gone into hiding. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Olga said...

I was caught by the words "pickle stabber antlers."

Anvilcloud said...

You get some delightful visitors.

Martha said...

Such beautiful creatures!

Marco Luijken said...

Hello Jennifer,
Very nice to see these deers.
Very special the movies by night.

Greetings, Marco

Karen said...

Good morning Jennifer. Did you see the photo of the deer I put up on Facebook? I think I mentioned it to you some time ago that we raised deer.
Our pigs loved pumpkins. I have two of them at the back now but nothing seems to be interested in them. I'm thinking of cutting them in half and let the critters have a go at the seed cavity?

Rain said...

Hi Jenn :) I love how you capture all of these beautiful creatures! How nice that the deer are cleaning up your garden! Win-win for all! :)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Just caught up on your posts, Jenn. I saw pumpkins put out with the garbage one day and was too shy to stop and pick them up and use them here on the property. The deer are through even when we don't see them. Our trail cam which was up for three weeks caught rabbits, deer and fox, many more of each than we were aware of. Meanwhile, I love seeing them and I learn things from you too in your posts. We got quite a lot of snow here but the mild temps. and weak rain have sunk it down.

Tom said...

...so you are running a nursery too?

RedPat said...

These are great little films!

carol l mckenna said...

Awesome post and photos ~ great shots of the sweet deer ~ ^_^

Live each moment with love,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Christine said...

Nature is alive and well at your place!

Kay said...

I didn't know they had glands on their ankles. You know so much about the wildlife.