Tuesday 8 September 2020

Well, September settles in

 Well, as things wind up or down, depending upon your position, we are ready for winter. People have been really good about wearing masks in town, the few times I've been in. We don't know what the fall will bring, once school is in session. We are creeping up the graph in Ontario, with over 100 cases a day. It was lower than that. 

I've been tidying and decluttering. The girls no longer play school (see the first photo, below), so we'll sell two of our three antique student tables. They have served us well during many Gramma Camps. 

I have been so grateful having the girls around. Things have since been quiet. We're back to being retirees. JB's shoulder precludes him from volunteering anymore. I'm still coming to terms with my former client's ill health. I'd been visiting her twice a week for 3 years. I am rudderless.

Our wood pile is still standing! 


I am unable to snap a great photo, but there is quite a bee colony in the sand. You can just see the little bee near the shadow of the rock. 

JB brought me home some kale from the farmer's market. A LOT of kale! I made some kale chips. 

I have comparison photos for our hosta plants; one trimmed, one nearer the house. The poor hosta was trimmed by our deer, but valiantly produced flowers. I can't blame them. We've moved into their habitat.

With our regular fall rains, the vernal frog pond was dry and now it is filling up. This will be important later, as I tell my story!

Cinnamon has been walking more frequently with us. I videotaped him, roaring around the corner. He is so funny.


Funny story. JB has been walking around the property, 2 or 3 times a day, for stress relief, and some exercise, now that the bugs are gone. 
This is the climbing tree. Don't ask why the first video is B & W, and the next is colour. Anyway, I'm glad I set the camera up at the tree. 

cat walkies 2 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

From there, JB kept walking and the trio ended up at the dock. Nutmeg slid under the dry end of the dock, looking for who knows what. Cinnamon, the boy that he is, just jumped into the water and got a soaker. 

This is what I call an Isabelle, as we were down at the dock several years ago, and she was frogging. She spotted one and, gleefully, without thinking about it, jumped in with her boots and tried to get a frog. 

Good times had by all!

8 comments:

carol l mckenna said...

Great cat walk video ~ you do these videos so well ~ what a great place where you live ~ ^_^

Live each moment with love,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Looks like JB and the kitties had a nice walk. I like your hostas, they are pretty plants. I guess the deer like them too.
Take care, enjoy your day! Have a great week ahead!

Tom said...

...I have deer (not as many as you) and thankfully they don't bother my hosta!

Nancy J said...

So the seasons change, and we have had cool mornings, although the calendar and garden says Spring!!! Yes, with the desks gone, that is a sure sign too that young ladies no longer play at school, but do the real deal. It will be SO quiet, all is OK here.Your cats have a wonderland right at their back door, but jumping in the water is not the usual activity, although I did once wee a wild cat swim through the small stream at our other home, after Hugh's machinery scared him.

Anvilcloud said...

Unfortunately, nearly 200 new cases for two days. When will they ever learn?

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i am loving your header shot. i am so ready for fall. sadly the humidity has return here in VA. been working in the yard and i am sweating like a silly person. but i had to get some stuff around here finished. gotta do what you gotta do. LOL!! take care. ( ;

Angie said...

Jenn - love the leaf in your header - autumn is definitely on the way - we had our first frost last night - a little earlier than I would have liked, but you just can't protect the whole garden!

I am finding that sometimes it is beneficial for the deer to nibble the plants - they come on thicker and with more flowers!

Love your adorable kitties!

William Kendall said...

It's cool enough today that I'm wearing a hoodie.