Sunday 10 November 2019

New kittens!!!

After we lost Hooper Tuesday, I had to do something to get that horrid sound of his crash out of my head. I began looking on-line. While our local animal shelter has some kittens, I decided that I would let things unfold as they should.

I discovered that two kittens (~4 - 6 months old) had been holed up at our vet's offices. They were dumped at the side of the road and brought in. Poor things. They were healthy, no fleas or ticks. Dirty ears, but the technicians cleaned them.

The male is on the left, he's a little more cinnamon-coloured, dark brown spots, and she has a darker coat. I was thinking Cinnamon and Spice (he's been tooting a lot!).


So many domesticated critters need our help. We would have preferred females. We've lost 4 males on the highway to cars. None to the fisher, fox, coyotes, etc. But these two have spent two weeks at our vet's office, looking for a home. (This is how we snagged Annabelle! Jan, 2015;
We have a new baby: Annabelle cat)

Look at these little faces! We went to the vet after I'd done my gig with my respite client. We took the carrier, just in case!


Yep. Here they are. At first, we popped them into the crate, just to let Annabelle see they were here. The female growled at Annabelle! I set up the 'guest room,' a litter box with food and water, and popped them in. We brought home kitten food.



 They are presently rooming in our guest room. He's a bit of a moving target! She stole his toy and took it under the dresser. She'll growl at him if he tries to steal back his toy.

He is a moving target!

I let them out of their room when Annabelle was outside on the deck in the sunshine. They explored up and down. He ended up in the laundry room. She didn't venture as far. They were hooked, though. No fear. 

I feed Annabelle first in the morning, then the goldfish, then the kittens in their room. This has worked well Friday. Saturday, they were awake at 4 a.m., but I ignored them scratching at the carpet at the door.  I got up at 6, as my back was in terrible shape. An ongoing issue. 

I put Annie's food in her dish, which she usually gorges on. This time, no. She saw me going back to the cupboard for clean dishes for the kittens. She KNOWS there is rich kitten food on offer. Annie trailed down the hall after me. I fed them, did their litter, and had a play. I found it cold this morning.

I realized that I should open up the vent in the guest room, as it was chilly. They liked that. Another thing I did, was put a board across their door. That warmed up the room, as well. Annie peeked in, and confirmed that they were still there. I was sitting blogging, and looked down the hall. The male was sitting watching her. He stayed there for about 5 minutes. All was good.

Sat., Nov. 9


The male found the window ledge!


They began exploring the house. Annabelle with give them stink eye, then a growl.
The female spotted herself in a mirror, and began growling! I corralled them and tucked them into their room overnight.

13 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Good for you. I hope all goes happily.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
More settling-in fun for you... I think Annie will be happy enough as long as she's getting her regular attention! Welcome home Cinna and Spice... although, if the female continues growling, perhaps it will be she Naughty, he Nice?!! YAM xx

DVArtist said...

These are beauties. So glad they have your home as theirs.

Nancy J said...

Love comes to us in many ways, and these two will bring heaps.Annabelle will adjust, and to have the two together is a good way. Let those memories of Hooper with you in the trees, down by the wetland, and inside his little home warm your heart and gradually the sad part will get smaller.

Christine said...

So sorry to hear of Hooper's passing, terrible news.

Red said...

These kittens are lucky to have someone you who cares so much to take them in.

RedPat said...

You are a good person! ;-)

Karen said...

I hope they all settle in and learn to like each other. We isolated Emmy when she first came here. Miss Kitty and her would paw at each other under the door, but they still aren't friends. We *think* they hunt together in the basement, but otherwise there is still a bit of scrapping going on.
I'm glad you got them. They will keep you busy while you recover.

William Kendall said...

I hope things go well as they get used to each other.

Kathy G said...

What beautiful cats they are! I'm sure things will settle down soon at your house.

Hootin Anni said...

Awwwwww, how I love cats! Good for you Jenn.

Out To Pasture said...

Good for you, Jennifer! You'll have so much pleasure as you see their personalities revealed and they will entertain you with their kittenish antics all winter. We look forward to many kitten reports.

Powell River Books said...

It's so wonderful you were able to take both of them together. I know they will settle in with all your loving care and give you lots of loving joy. - Margy