Monday 3 June 2019

We drove to Playfairville!

This was funny. I misread a news item from Tay Valley. I thought the plant sale began at 1 p.m. In fact, it went from 10 to 1. I figured we could go in the afternoon.

Friends of Lanark County is having a Plant Sale!
On Saturday June 1st from 10am - 1pm at Fallbrook Ball Field (1513 Fallbrook Rd.)Add some untreated, pesticide free, native (non-hybrid) easy-care plants to your garden! Native plants support the life cycle of many beneficial insects, birds, bees and other wildlife.  

JB came back from his walk in town (no bugs there!), as well as shopping and visiting neighbours at the Saturday market after 12:00. He did doddle, not knowing I wanted to go.
It was 24 minutes, so says Google maps, to get there. What the heck.


I plugged in the address to Gillian GPS, she said we'd be there at 12:51. Off we went. Lots of new and old homes, rivers, flowering fruit trees. It was a nice drive.


Bridges are being repaired across the county.


The fruit trees are amazing, as well as the lilacs. Everything is so green.


There were two bridges reduced to one lane, with 3-minute traffic turnover time. I chewed my nails as time ticked away.


They were still there, with only a few plants left. Of course, it was 12:57, so no wonder.


I took photos of the directions for individual plants.



Can you tell it is bug season? If you are near running water, it's blackflies. Here, where we have still water, it's mosquitoes.


It's becoming more popular for people to auction their homes.


This is an interesting yard. I have no idea what they are doing. Can you see the carving on the post, far left?


From here, we went to McDonalds Corners. The lodge has been bought by an Asian family, and we wanted to try their new menu in the restaurant.
 There is a boat launch.


The cook welcomed us, and went outside to fetch the server! We apologised, he was gracious.


The Won Ton soup was wonderful, says JB, who lived a number of years in Vancouver. He used chop sticks. Pas moi. Spring rolls, and a tray for two.


As we ate, I spotted two small cars, with three canoes. One guy looked familiar. After lunch I went over and introduced myself and asked if he was from Perth. Indeed! "I work at The Table. I'm Ramsey!" He is, in fact, the ED of our local food bank! They do marvellous programs; they teach cooking to young and old, they have potluck suppers, and have interesting fundraisers. We donate monthly to them.

We'd never met, even though we had a sign on our lawn when Ramsay was running for the NDP. He did well, with 30% of the vote.


Dalhousie Lake is a shallow lake. There were people fishing and canoodling.


Back on the road... a drive-by shooting out the driver's side passenger window.


I'm going to have to go back and check out this place! I love the snowman.


As we made it to Scotch Line Rd., I spotted this house for sale.


Not so shabby!
133 Glen Tay Rd.: $639,999!


Back on the road.


These neighbouring properties have these ponds. With all the rains, on the way in I noticed the owner adding stones to the shoreline.


It was a lovely drive!

11 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

You spotted some pretty nice blossoms on the trip.

Christine said...

Interesting drive! Funny having Chinese food out there. The mistake about the plant sale would totally happen to me.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, wonderful views from your drive. Sorry you missed the plant sale. The blossoming trees are beautiful. Enjoy your day, have a great new week ahead.

Nancy J said...

Beautiful road photos, those trees, and homes for sale, would you move? Maybe the plant sale will happen again soon, and you can be there first!!

Hootin Anni said...

BEAUTIFUL flowering trees. I like won ton, but I never did get the hang of chop sticks. I so enjoyed driving along. Hope I wasn't one of those annoying 'back seat drivers'!

Rain said...

Oh those nets...I wear my head net every morning now walking the dogs in the woods...if it's not the black flies, it's the spider webs!! Nice photos, that snowman is really cool! I LOVE spring rolls! But we are so rural, there are no Chinese food restaurants for miles, probably Montreal is the closest, nearly 3 hours south of us. I tried once making them, but failed. It's something I want to try again though!

Cloudia said...

Spring beauties!🌺

William Kendall said...

These are wonderful countryside views.

Gill - That British Woman said...

that's funny how those folk were wearing the mosquito hats/covers.

Lovely drive.

Powell River Books said...

Looks like tasty food. The small airport cafe at the South Terminal at Vancouver Airport serves a surprisingly good wonton soup. If we are there around lunch time that's one of our favourite choices. - Margy

Unknown said...

Have a great tour. You Made my Eid special with nature beauty.
Sandy recent posted
Mauritius Island