Thursday 18 April 2019

Welcome to Marwen

Hubby was watching curling, I decided to do a PPV: Welcome to Marwen. It was filmed in Maple Ridge, B.C., which is a popular spot for many US films.

The story tells us about a man who created a little town, using dolls, to tell a story. Based in fact, the photographs are amazing. Our hero, Mark Hogancamp, constructed a miniature WW II village, called Marwencol, to help escape his horrific beating.
Marwencol is a miniature town in Kingston, New York created by the American artist Mark Hogancamp. On April 8, 2000, Mark Hogancamp was attacked outside of a bar by five men who beat him nearly to death after he told them he was a cross-dresser. Wikipedia
I found out later, that Hogancamp has his own webpage, and that the documentary is more realistic than the film. (Not a surprise!) He also wrote a book. It was a powerful movie, Hogancamp was 9 days in a coma, after his beating, then he ran out of state-paid therapy. This village was his therapy.

I've been seeing a lot of fairy gardens here and there. Why not create one of my own?

It's trickier than it looks. Two of my plants have died since I bought and planted them. It's not a normal terrarium, in that it has huge holes on corners and the top. You cannot over water plants. I neglected it, and failed to water enough. 

Our local nursery has opened for the season. The owners said several women were walking into here and just inhaling! 



While this was showing on my PPV, I was working on my own little village. It was ironic, yes?
I bought a few new pieces for my fairy garden. Back home, I put in the outdoor furniture.

7 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

So very creative!

Anvilcloud said...

You are so active.

Karen said...

I've been hearing about that show, looking forward to seeing it.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh I love your fairy garden! I have one but haven't changed it up in a long time. The little furniture sure is sweet! Enjoy your weekend! Hugs!

Nancy J said...

Your terrarium outdoor furniture, they are so beautiful. And the other garden, it might just live again with some TLC and water.

William Kendall said...

Have the cats been at the terrareum?

Christine said...

very cute, thanks for telling us a bit about Hogencamp's story.