Saturday 23 February 2019

A new TV!

Here is our old TV, at home on Walker Ave.! Fluffy on top of the TV. He liked to play hockey from there. (This would have been the 60s.)


I bought hubby a new TV. I didn't mean to, but it seemed to make sense. You'll see! The old one was giving him a headache at the end of the day. It was the kids' TV, so it doesn't owe us anything. Hubs measured it carefully, since the space for the TV is square, and TV are now rectangular. We were good for 32".


JB did his research online, searching for TV 32" and under. (They are all marketed in inches, the US being a big influence on the North American market.) We had three choices: Home Hardware, Canadian Tire, and Best Buy. (I forgot about Staples...) He compared them, some practically do the dishes. OK, not, but they have Wifi capabilities, you can add other products, like Alexa, and the like, but this isn't what we need or want. We don't have the bandwidth for things like Netflix or BritBox, nor do we need it. We did want one with the ability to take headphones.

 Consumer reviews for the ones in Crappy Tire were bad. Home Hardware didn't have any in stock. The joys of rural living! Best Buy had free delivery. We weighed options, and hubby went to his computer to order it. I heard swearing. I ordered it for him on my computer!

It was to arrive on Tuesday. We were lunching with our aunt on Monday, so that was fine. I checked online, and they said Friday delivery.


Awaiting the arrival, I removed the old TV, which hubby asked if I could lift FIFTEEN TIMES!


Back to the computer: it said 'notice left,' but there was nothing at the house, nothing in the mailbox.

We waited, patiently (SNORT). The notice arrived about the usual time our regular mail arrives. Off to the drug store, where our Canada Post outlet plays out. It is incredibly light. I could lift it with one hand.



I had a supervisor..


Only one problem. This is a converter box for a non-HD TV. It took awhile to figure that out. I couldn't find a HD connection. The new TV is HD. I did an online chat with a Shaw Satellite person, turns out our other two boxes need replacing with the new HD channels. It's amazing how one things leads to another.


These are simple problems. I kept myself busy, while viewing Facebook photos of various friends at the beach, in warmer climes. I did a 90-minute snowshoe. Winter isn't for chumps!

8 comments:

DUTA said...

Enjoy your new TV!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Seems I wasn't the only one who had a techy week!!! YAM xx

Red said...

Technology changes so you have to throw away everything when you buy a new TV.

Nancy J said...

Keep on keeping on,both of you.Winter must close down soon, and then before you know it, days will be SO hot. We have a Freeview dish here, so had to get a freeview box to use with our TV, maybe they are all inbuilt by now.Your new one looks great, well done to research first.

Karen said...

TV's drive me crazy. We bought each other a SMART TV from Amazon - our Christmas gift. We wanted a certain brand and Amazon seemed to be the only way to get it. (We don't have many shopping options in Pembroke either). So much bother to hook them all up. I'm keeping the old 32 inch RCA in the bedroom until it craps out, or I do.
I do like being able to watch YouTube video's on the new one in the Livingroom though. I'm kind of "off" television right now anyway.(says this person who regrets leaving Shaw :( )

Far Side of Fifty said...

Adventures with Televisions, the new ones are so light but we have found they need to be replaced more often, sometimes it is sad we think of such things as disposable!

Anvilcloud said...

It's all so complicated nowadays. Fortunately, our SiL is very up on this stuff.

William Kendall said...

Your feline supervisor must have been curious about what was going on.