Friday 2 November 2018

Veteran's Voices - The Art Of Healing - Art Exhibition

I heard a CBC story...
The art show has been extended until Nov. 10th.

I volunteered with an art therapist in Muskoka, I wrote about it here: Expressive Arts in Muskoka, Elke Schultz works with young children who have bereavement issues.

We used art therapy when working with day hospice clients.

I know the value in art therapy. Off we went... it was a helluva drive in the rain.
Purvis Gallery and Framing Ltd., 
86 Pembroke Street W, Pembroke, Ontario K8A5M6 

This was a powerful, and moving experience for the both of us. It was made all the more so, as the gallery had asked one of the veterans, one of the artists, to talk to us about the show. He is one of the people who curated it, and he has a wonderful knowledge of the pieces, the theories behind the various styles, and methods of the art therapist. The art experiences by the 12 artists represent work that is experimental, directed, and both conceptual and concrete. The art is directed by the soldier, who listens to their inner drive to express that which is previously unexpressed, but requires to be let go. What a wonderful man. Thank you, sir, for your service.

Many retired soldiers cannot express that which is inexpressible. Herein lies the PTSD. Our host is articulate, sensitive, and gave so much to so many. He continues to do so. It was an honour to meet him, and speak with him. One focuses on that which remains to do done, those one could not help, yet we must look back and remember those for whom we made a difference.

The Philtrum Portrait
Clients are asked to fold a large sheet of paper to create flaps. The light side represents favourite things and places. The dark side: the painful. On the inside, the client integrates the light and the dark. This technique was designed by Wanda Sawicki, and originally intended for those managing cancer.




This piece was incredible. The artist carved the pillow out of Ohio Sandstone, Stephane explained it! The rock he found on his property, and it was sanded and smoothed. I can imagine the therapeutic value in the sanding and preparing of the piece.

The rock pillow takes all the bad dreams, and abandons them there to give the sleeper peace. I often have bad dreams, nightmares about not being able to teach, losing my way to school. I know many of my retired teacher peers have the same issues.

Isn't this brilliant????

As you look at the art, you can see how the pieces reflect the trauma a soldier experiences. There are many types of therapy, I managed to complete 8 of ten courses for my M.A. in Counselling Therapy. I could not finish for various reasons, partly my depression following my move to Muskoka, the death of my parents, giving up my career, my home, my previous life.

I know the value in counselling, in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, and the various strategies, but this therapy, expressive art therapy, our retired soldier told us, has proven invaluable to him and his peers.

Traumatic events, and intrusive thoughts and dreams.

For this piece, the artist did not know what he would create, but it came from imagination, freedom and creativity. And a place of safety, I might add. It is so difficult to live in the present, being aware of the influence and the shape of past events, but to let go of the pain and anger. This is a common human experience.


You can see the symbolism in the artwork.


PTSD; STIGMA; LONELINESS
On the left, "IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOUR STILL IN AFGHANISTAN;
Bad grammar aside, this will always remind me of those we lost in Afghanistan."
The masks were really powerful. Many of our soldiers are unable to express their PTSD, trauma they encountered, and life-changing experiences in the course of their tours.


Some pieces are meant to represent a time of peace, joy, prior to the trauma of these work experiences.
"Memories which are grounding and safe"

The artist has collected driftwood, and created several amazingly beautiful pieces. Driftwood, in and of itself, is symbolic.


This piece spoke to me.
I can see this piece reflects a life. You live, learn, engage in your life's work, and rise to a pinnacle. In my case, I burned out caring for my dad and quit early. I have a motivation to create something to represent my journey, as well. Such an inspiring soldier. I would buy these!



The artist writes, "as a result of my injuries, my creativity was blocked." You can see how the water is moving forward, the curtain at the back represents the veil of our minds. Water cleanses.
"At the bottom of the falls is the calmer section of the water with many hues of blue and a hint of the rocks underneath. This represents the peace, joy and quietness of reconnecting with the life we hope to find again."


This piece is called 'Bonded Surveillance', the artist carved this out of Indiana Limestone. Some members of the military are in specialties where they have to respect and hold military secrets. They see a lot that they are not able to talk about. We know so much more about recovering from PTSD, and therapists help us draw out our experiences to better process them and come to terms with them.
Isn't this brilliant?!


Sometimes, there are no words. For some, PTSD is complicated by sexual assault, bullying or harassment.


Kintsugi

This is an ancient Japanese method whereby the artist breaks a piece of pottery. You can see the beauty in the whole, and the beauty that remains in that which has been damaged, but retains its essence, and becomes oven more beautiful. The hole remains, but can be replaced with colour and design.



There were many soapstone carvings, as well as pottery. I recall doing a lot of pottery with our kids. It is so therapeutic. I was incredibly moved by it all.


"Serenity is peace within the storm"

Art therapy

The art therapist is Marilyn Saffery, she has a degree in fine arts, but has gone back to school to learn and practice art therapy since 2004. There is a Canadian Art Therapy organisation, if you are looking for a therapist.

"It is often difficult to adequately express experiences and related feelings in words. This is when art offers so much potential for healing. Art has a powerful therapeutic effect. It can inspire, guide, comfort, expand, reawaken and make meaning within confusion and pain."

16 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
totally agree on the value of art as therapy - and some of these pieces are outstanding - I love the stone works in particular, but really, all have merit. Thank you for bringing this to Jenn. YAM xx

DUTA said...

Art can certainly be therapeutic; no doubt about that. Art therapy is widely used in our country as we have lots of people with traumatic symptoms as a result of frequent wars and terror acts.

DVArtist said...

All I can say is WONDERFUL.

Karen said...

The pieces are all very touching. The driftwood in particular grabbed my attention. I wish my SonInLaw could get involved with something like this and express his issues with PTSD.

William Kendall said...

I can see art definitely being helpful in that process with PTSD. The painting with the waterfall particularly draws my eye. Very fitting for this time of year.

Olga said...

I think art therapy is a very valuable tool in so many situations. So much better to get feelings expressed somehow and there is the hope that such exhibits will soften the hearts of those responsible for war.

Unknown said...

The pillow is actually handcarved out of Ohio Sandstone...The black stone reating in pillow I found on my property...I use a pillow at home as a guide �� Glad you liked the exhibit A+

Unknown said...

Hello there, happy you liked the exhibit. The pillow is actually hand carbed out of Ohio Sandstone and the other I picked on my property, cheers 🍻

Lisabella Russo said...

What an incredible and moving exhibit! I impressed by the power of art to help as much as it can.

Red said...

Interesting tour. I can tell that you were excited about the project and the good it could do.

Christine said...

Interesting post for PPF! Thanks for sharing Jenn!

Anvilcloud said...

I still have those teacher dreams on occasion. It is usually the first day of school, and I don't know where I'm going, and if I ever get there, I am not prepared.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm so sorry I got that wrong, Stephane! I know D.N. told us a lot, and I appreciate you commenting. I fixed it! It is a beautiful piece. Thank you for sharing your story. These are important stories that must be brought out into the light. Thank you for your service.

Derrick Nearing said...

Thanks Jenn for making the long journey to Pembroke to see the exhibition with Joe, it was a great pleasure meeting you both. I have been there several times niw over the kast couoke weeks and i am still in awe of the art which has been created by those on display, i love seeing how it has, and continues to, help people move forward. Thanks again for your visit and it will be on display up until next Saturday 10 Nivember 2018.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful post. Art therapy can be very helpful. Happy belated PPF, hugs, Valerie

Angie said...

Jenn - thanks for sharing this with us. I believe most folks know someone who is dealing with some sort of trauma, be it related to military service, abuse, mental health issues … how wonderful for art to bring healing for the individual and ultimately to their families and all around them.