Tuesday 16 October 2018

Growing old isn't for chumps!



Then, there is eye sight!
Both distance and reading glasses!
Old age isn't for chumps.

Seriously, I'm finding some of my blog buddies have had some health issues, so I know I'm not alone. A fall, caused by polypharmacy; a broken shoulder (poor Kay) and wrist (I love you, Yam!), complications from surgery (Furry Gnome). I am grateful for our universal healthcare, and how well the system has worked for us along our journey. JB has had 60 appointments for his cancer. He's doing well.

I loved giving computer workshops!


Yet, it's been a whirlwind. I've been working with a naturopathic physician to help improve some of my health issues. I have stress-triggered depression, anxiety and mild panic attacks. I had an issue in the summer that set me back. It's been chronic. Each time an event triggers it, I sink a bit deeper. Health issues in your 60s are different. Just sayin'!

Thank you, faithful readers, for your support. I think I'm on the right path.

I saw this on a Marilyn Denis talk show. It's simple in middle age, isn't it? pppfffttt There is nothing new here, but it is different for middle age. Life simply changes, and we have to change with it.

Diet, AKA Food and Nutrition

Firstly, 'diet' doesn't mean to diet, it means to watch what you are eating, quantity and quality. I found with menopause, my metabolism changed. The same foods, with the same calories, weren't the same as the good, old days.

I had some chronic digestive issues following some stress.  With my naturopath's support, I am strategically reducing my alcohol intake. The blood test she sent me for showed my intolerances to dairy (sheep, cow, goat), wheat, barley, egg whites, peas. Oh, the meals I've loved (archived below)!

Progress is spotty. I've cut out dairy, I took a couple of bricks of cheese , a stick of butter, and a carton of milk to my client! Dairy wasn't too difficult, as I never cook with it, since JB cannot have dairy, yeast or eggs. That was the first step. Wheat is the 2nd. The problem with cookbooks is many use wheat.

This one is on its way,
we shall see.

What do you do? April, 2017
JB has gone shopping and found me some oatmeal cereal, rice crackers, and some rice bread. The gluten-free movement has increased the availability of these products. The rice bread tastes like sawdust, though.

He found me some oat bagels, but my favourite topping on those was smoked salmon and cream cheese! (Deep sigh!)

Fitness

tenosynovitis in my right foot


Retiring early, due to depression, didn't help. You're just not on your feet as much.

When I get on my feet, I strain muscles... usually in my legs or feet! Tenosynovitis and tendonitis. I have been using an elliptical machine, and that has been great. Walking any distance hurts my back. Being overweight hurts my knees. You really have to work hard at this.

Rest and Sleep

Chronic insomnia, and nightmares. What can I say?! At least I can sleep in. I listen to podcasts.

Reducing Stressors

JB's been managing his cancer, there are still times when I worry about my kids. The cats have proven to be highly needy!
Meditation doesn't work for me. Walks in the forest, AKA forest bathing, helps. I really enjoy that.

Supplements

My naturopath gave me a B12 shot. I'm taking glucosamine and chondroitin for arthritis. Pills for high blood pressure. Antidepressants. Also, a women's over 50 vitamin, which is important, I think. So says Dr. Jenn, our naturopath. (JB sees her, as well.)

I'm not complaining, I'm just explaining. I can change my habits. It's a whole new ball game! Wish me luck.


Meals I have enjoyed!


11 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
yup - post meno now, the ounces which go on that never used to and won't budge as they once did... the movement that won't any more... the breaking of important and useful parts... sigh. No place for sissies, this territory called ageing! YAM xx

Olga said...

More and more I hear about people with food sensitivities and I always wonder about if it's the food or the modern day chemical fertilizers and additives. It does seem that eating habits need to change somewhat as we age -- mostly eating less if activity lessens.

DUTA said...

Concentrate on loosing weight; that solves many problems especially knee problems. I don't drive, I walk, so I need my knees to be free of pain. I watch my calorie intake; low calorie is also low fat and low carb. I take my protein mainly from fish and some dairy products. Although I haven't yet given up bread, I've mainly turned to glutten free cornmeal,and make everyday a polenta. My big problem are fruit - there's a lot of sugar in them, and I'm mad about grapes and peaches.Sugar of any kind is bad stuff.

As for eyesight - I wear multifocal glasses, but they make them badly here. The three stages of distant, intermediate and close are not done well, and this might affect eyesight.

Feel well!

Karen said...

I too developed some awful food sensitivities after 60. Gluten free bread is pretty awful isn't it?! Udies, Utties, something like that, brand, has a lovely GF English muffin that someone recently introduced me too. Catelli has lovely GF pasta which our household now prefers over regular. It's a learning curve.
I haven't been tested for dairy yet, but honestly, that would be really difficult. Cheese is a big part of my life.
Do you ever wonder if they way they process our food and additives they put into it all is the culprit?

Nancy J said...

B 12, they do say as we age, AKA mature... we do not absorb it so well, and the injection 3 monthly is a wonder. Low levels have so many side effects!!! Keep up with those changes, you will get there and manage to do without the goodies that once were everyday .

William Kendall said...

I have found that music is a good reliever of depression.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Change just keeps on happening doesn’t it? Good for you for facing your health issues proactively. I don’t think we ever stop worrying about our kids, no matter that we know they don’t need our help or our worry either one...or that it would help even if they did).

Red said...

Aging can be very tough. I hope that you can see some changes for the better. It's no fun being down. I sometimes get depression from my epilepsy medication. If I stop and think about and say this is making me blue , I can usually snap out of it.

Out To Pasture said...

Like William Kendall, I find that music really helps take my thoughts out of dark corners. Especially when I'm concentrating on a new piano piece, my mind refocuses on the beautiful sounds of Mom's 1930's Willis upright and the gloomies quickly melt away. I've never had a weight problem but now, in my seventies, I have to be careful of what, how much and when I eat. Nothing after 6:00 pm or I will likely regret it! Aren't podcasts wonderful? I find the more interesting they are, the quicker I fall asleep. Weird, huh? Hope your foot heals quickly!

Linda said...

I call them health challenges - food, weight, arthritis, IBS, Diverticulitis, awful gas and bloating and probably more. I walk a lot, outside and on the treadmill, try to eat healthy and not a lot. It is all a challenge that is worked at daily.

Lowcarb team member said...

Who said aging is easy!!!

I think each ten years brings different 'problems' our bodies do change and we have to adapt the best we can.

Thinking of you and sending my good wishes.

All the best Jan