Wednesday 29 August 2018

Yes, Gramma Camp 2.0!

Monday, Aug. 27

Grampa went shopping. He was exhausted. He put out garbage Monday morning, then went for his hour walk.

They've been all around the world, but they came back to visit. We're going to have a lovely few days before school.


Day 1 – Monday

Caitlin drove them here. We had a great visit, with lots of tales about their trips. It was so good to hug them all! Poor Papa had to go to work, though. Momma works 4 days a week.
We hugged Momma, who went home for dinner.

Afterwards, we watched tennis with Grampa. Raonic won! Happy dance. Isabelle and Grampa went into town, and rented a video. It was her turn to choose. That was for later. The kids were fading some. They are pretty jet lagged.
Then we watched Sesame Street and it was all about dancing! Latin, Bollywood, freestyle.
Next, Super Why!
Grampa offered to take them to the library, but Josee said they were OK with the books in the basement!
A bit of excitement at the feeders.
Black squirrel from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Then there is red squirrel...
Red squirrel from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


We were feeling lazy and watched Kid's TV:
  • Wild Kratts, raw green beans, and water, for a snack.
  • Odd Squad, and raw veggies.
Dinner was hot dogs and corn. Jos shucked for me. She didn't eat too much. We did have non-dairy mango ice cream for dessert.


 Izzy was alone in the basement watching Monster Trucks! The rest of us were watching tennis, upstairs after dinner.

6:20 Josie fell asleep on the couch. I pulled her down to lay her flat, and Grampa slid a pillow under her head. I kept checking on Isabelle and at she must have fallen asleep by 6:30 or 7:00. I tucked her in, turned off the TV. Grampa and I went to bed around 9 p.m., I figured we might have an early morning!

Day 2 – Tuesday

I woke after a nightmare at 4:30 a.m. Went to the loo. Daisy cat wanted in, she roared down the hall after Hooper. Snarling and hissing. Daisy went back out. Two cats thought they should have breakfast.


There was an apparition in the living room. Isabelle had used the nightlight/flashlight to come upstairs. Clever girl. Both girls were wide awake. We nestled in downstairs by 5:00 a.m. to rewatch the movie. It was kinda cute... Water and fruit for pre-breakfast.

Our Movie: Monster Trucks. Funnily enough, the movie was filmed in Kamloops, Surrey, and Chilliwack, B.C. My son's in-laws live near Surrey!

We moved upstairs by dawn. Grampa brought me my coffee. The girls had toast. We watched Odd Squad #2, taped from the previous night. By this point, Grampa had showered after his hour walk, then went out to dispatch Meals on Wheels.

Activities

Next we were looking at trip photos. By photo #150/417, Izzy got bored. Jos kept going.

Izzy and I played school in the basement: music, playtime (Lego), and finally, Math. (She loves math.)  We reviewed Roman Numerals:  V and X, I had to yell upstairs to ask Jos what '50' was (L) and we did VIII (Is' age), IV (half of that), then VC (my client's age), and my client's older sister's age (IIC). Then, because Iz loves math, we did some multiplication (22 x 3), adding ("I can do regrouping, I'm good at math.") (24 + 16). We had a disagreement for this on: (-4 + -5) , but I don't want to do the right fight with an 8-year-old!! These were for me: (106 - 107). At first I didn't notice the - sign, then I thought it was 206 - 107. Sigh. I used to teach this stuff! It's like reading music and forgetting to notice the key signature.

The cats love the princess castle.

Josee took these photos.


Next up: we made individual cakes in a mug. I forget where I spotted this, but it works well. Little clean up. If you use a mason jar/mug, you just put the lid on to shake it and mix it!


While the cakes cooked, they played with the letters on the fridge. 


Crafts: Josee made a foosball game. Daisy helped. Isabelle created a house out of her sticks.


Isabelle went into town with grampa to pick the day's movie: Ready Player One. Josee didn't feel up to it. Josee had seen it on the plane during one of their flights. We watched it in the afternoon. It wasn't bad!

We did Facetime with Momma as she walked home from work. 
Meatloaf for dinner. 

Bedtime

I took Izzy downstairs to get her ready for bed. It was 7:30 and she was fading. I pretended to pick her up. We giggled. We walked to the top of the stairs to go down to where they sleep in the basement TV room. I said, "I guess I can't carry you anymore."
     "Nope. Neither of us are young anymore, or small!" 
What a kid! I love them!

10 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Okay - am off to make microwave peanut puffy somethings!!!

Raonic plays Giles Simon today; that will be a bit tougher for him I think. Andy Murray scraped through to the second round too. I do question the wisdom of his trying so hard to return to full-time tennis... I just have to read the headlines. I don't do Jungle Prime. YAM xx

Karen said...

Your girls seem to get along really well!

Nancy J said...

Those squirrels, determined to the last second!! Kamloops,our family stayed there on their B.C. holiday, and at Kelowna too.-18C in the shade one day, their mitts froze solid on the ski poles!!! Roman numerals, I always remember that 50 is the furthest letter and 500 is D, the earlier one. Two minus numbers? I will have to check that one. What a few days of fun.

William Kendall said...

They must have lots to tell you about their jaunts around the world.

Give a squirrel enough time, and there is no such thing as a squirrel proof feeder.

Kay said...

What an absolutely awesome day you had.

Red said...

Yes, I'll bet the kids are jet lagged.

Christine said...

Glad to see the kids (world travelers) back at your place for a bit!

Linda said...

Great to have Gramma camp before the end of summer. The girls are getting bigger.

Lowcarb team member said...

Haven't they travelled! Wow, amazing.

Great to see your pictures here.

All the best Jan

Angie said...

What a Gramma you are - and this is just Day One! I can't wait to see the next installment! I imagine it is going to take the kids (and the parents) a while to adjust to the time zone change - it's a biggie! Those squirrel videos had me laughing and shaking my head at the same time - priceless when the black one gave up and then couldn't figure out how to get down!