Sunday 19 August 2018

Trip to Manotick, Around the World

The thing about depression is that you sometimes have to bite the bullet, and get out of the house. Hubby knows that, and suggested a trip into town for a display. I came up with another idea.
First we passed the local theatre. I'd love to see Crazy Rich Asians. I grew up in Toronto, we had a wide, wonderful multicultural, diverse community.

Manotick, our destination.


I rented there for a time – right after my separation and divorce. It was a stressful time. I'd been married from 1976 - 1993. I'd never lived on my own, let alone with kids. I was painfully shy, as well, my then-husband didn't encourage me to have opinions, or to be independent. I was expected to be home at 4:30 to make dinner. (He was the better cook, too!)

I taught in Manotick P.S. then, and it was both exhilarating and frightening. Each time a trigger set me a little lower: divorce, litigation, school issues.
Manotick has changed since I lived there in 1993. There were some local fundamentalists who complained to my principal when I was leading my gifted kids withdrawal group in meditation. Then, we did some Language Arts work around a book; did skits, art work, wrote stories.
We had a meeting my principal demanded I attend, with a group of 9 or so locals who confronted me. They complained I was using a book in my classroom that had a made-up name. The book author and I eventually published a teacher's guide to his book (Children of the Root) with puzzles, learning activities, lesson plans. They didn't like this, either. None of these adults had kids in our school.


I worked in Manordale P.S., later when a principal was bullying me. I was shop steward and she didn't like this. I spent three weeks gardening to escape the stress, also depressed. I know to spot it when it begins, and prevent myself from getting any lower. It isn't easy. Hubby has been amazing. I know I cannot get off my meds. They keep me even-keeled.

I still have horrid dreams about not finding my school, being unable to keep control of my class, getting berated by my principal. It is discouraging.

Anyway, this is affecting my physical body right now, I had another trigger last month. I think I'm digging my way up and out. I'm doing all the right things: exercising, keeping busy, getting outdoors in nature.


Our destination: Manotick market. Two amazing Ottawa artists:  and .
I follow them on Twitter. I first noticed Andrew, he's been published in the Ottawa Citizen:
Artist & cartoonist. Exploring overlooked history with adventures at  Follow  for local history yarns.



But, back to our trip. These are all retirement condos.


On the highway, people are on the move! It's the height of summer here.


We had lunch at the Swan.


Home again... to watch my caterpillars. You know how cats (and dogs) sniff one another's bums??!! :-)

Around The World

They took the bullet train from Tokyo to Osaka. Now, they are in a hostel, with mats on the floor. 

11 comments:

Nancy J said...

Some people can be so judgemental, critical, and give no thought to the reasons behind what we do. JB, he is a darling and the best for you ever. The monarchs, wildlife, your trail-cams, and a trip out for a meal, all wonderful therapy. Then your blog, let us know how you are, like Stew at " Seasons in the Valley" he told us the other day how hard things really are. Until then, he seemed to be so bright and coping so well. In reality, everything was really hard work.Hop over and read back a few posts. Wish I lived in your area, could pop in for coffee and a chat, this has to be the best we can do. Maybe another Facetime talk soon, let me know. XXXXX

DUTA said...

You look stunning in the picture!

Teaching is the profession with the greatest number of 'casualties'. I escaped after seven years, only to find out at the new job as a civil servant, that those disturbed school kids are now the disturbed adults running the country. Age and education seem to be only an envelope; they do not change the quality with which one is born. And to think that billions are invested in education, how depressing!.

Now it's our doctors that get beaten every week. No surprise here.

Karen said...

You are a strong woman. I admire your ability to describe your issues and triggers (to a degree?). I haven't been able to do that yet.

Red said...

Your dreams are called teacher dreams. they're not nice but part of the territory. After 21 years I still have the odd teacher dream. I wish you a good solid recovery where you never look back.

RedPat said...

We have an Andrew King painting. I haven't seen him for several years doing shows in Toronto and I was wondering how he was doing! Sorry to hear of your struggles and I certainly empathize. We just keep pushing ahead until the good feelings come back!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hang in there! get out and do things you enjoy! :)

Anvilcloud said...

I haven't really suffered from depression, except for one short year after I was forced to change schools due to redundancy, but that was enough to arouse my sympathy.

I still have those back to school dreams too where I am totally unprepared.

William Kendall said...

My depression is something that stays with me, but I don't need medication for it. I see my therapist every few weeks. It's helped a lot.

I have seen AliKat's work at some point, likely one of the art shows in town.

Fundamentalists are narrow minded little people living their lives through a vast misinterpretation of their scripture, and expecting everyone else to do the same.

Christine said...

Jenn I hope you can ward this depression off, you can.

DeniseinVA said...

I wish I could give you a big hug at such times, so here is a vertual one :) wrap your arms around and give yourself a big hug. We out here love you and only want the best for you.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

This comment is probably coming too late, but I can completely and totally understand your frame of mind. My husband and I are both in education (I don't talk about it at all on my blog - it's best not to), but without going into detail, my husband has suffered horribly due to others' power struggles, insecurities, and just plain nastiness. Ninety-nine percent of his problems came from inside the system itself, not parents. I feel for you. The public has NO idea what it can be like. -Jenn