Wednesday, 18 April 2018

Bone Scan #5

Tuesday, April 17th, 6:00 a.m. we began medical appointment #57

We were headed into Ottawa Riverside Hospital for another bone scan. After 15 cm snow, then 18 mm rain on Sunday/Monday, we were worried. Many of our friends in the region were without power, including our kids, who were without power for most of the day yesterday (Monday). I checked Twitter, and the hydro websites.

Power outages continued Tuesday morning in Ottawa.
The hospital is on Riverside, just below the red outage!

8:00 a.m.

Traffic was dense. Here I spotted two fire engines. Immediately, I was wondering what happened. These were coming out of Manotick, where the school was closed due to a power outage.

9:30 a.m., we arrived

After an hour and 34 minutes, 91 km. we were there. Whew. We arrived at the parking lot, and it didn't look good. Happily, it wasn't full, although they were close.

I wondered the efficacy of stopping in the lane. This is an access road to Riverside Dr.! (People can be so dumb!)

The machine dispensing the parking receipts were broken, he had to write out the time we entered. We'd had snow, rain, sleet, then rain!

We made it in the building!

They are doing closed bids for these pieces of art.

Apparently we didn't have to register, as we had an appointment. The signage was interesting, though. "5 ways to create a positive workplace". It caught my attention.

9:47 we were seated!

Of course, paperwork! Is he pregnant? No... This is for those being tested for osteoporosis.

This is different than the other 4 full body scans JB has had. Those were looking for signs of metastasized cancer. Those tests showed it is in his lymph nodes.
This one was to measure the density in his hip, and another spot. I forget which one, as treatment progresses.

We took our traditional selfie.

9:50 JB was called into the room for a 10:00 a.m. appointment!

When we sign in, they review JB's address and phone number. Ontario has OHIP, so it is all free. All we have to do is produce our health card. The clerk checked JB's primary physician's name, and his urologist's name, he who called for this bone density scan as a baseline during treatment.
Erica has known our urologist for twenty years, she told us when we signed in, when he was a skinny resident, and not married. He is a respected surgeon, now, and training students. He used robotic surgery to remove the cancerous prostate in 2013. We continue with treatment.

I sat with the beautiful bag my dear friend Jean made me, took out my pencil and sketchpad, and began a sketch. You see I wore my runners, despite the weather. There wasn't too much of a mess. No soakers!

The procedure took 7 minutes. I barely started my sketch. I'll have to finish another time.
Off we went, out the door to view the vista.

On the way home, lots of trees were broken from the ice and wind storm on Sunday.

Work was being done on the bridge.

Someone had an incident, someone was was in an ambulance.

Hubby, doing the photography, started having fun, I think. We drive by large homes.

The newer bridge.

One hour and 14 minutes plus 75 km later,  we made it early for lunch at Chuckles Jack in Smiths Falls. They didn't open until 11:30, we were there for 11:20. Chef Ram is a peach.

Home again, I fed the birds, put out cat litter, fetched some wood, made JB a fire, and processed by photos.
I couldn't capture the female cardinal, but the male was co-operative.


Anvilcloud said...

I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but I find the trip daunting even in good weather. All the best.

Olga Hebert said...

That cardinal!

DUTA said...

It seems your hubby is in good hands, medically. Provided he practices self-discipline regarding nutrition and rest, the future looks bright.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Phew. That's only the kind of day one faces if there is no alternative, right? Gotta say, it's much the same here - though not quite freezing. Yet. They teased us with summer on the weather maps. Which planet were they on??? YAM xx

William Kendall said...

It was quite a day, though I found the worst of the ice was done by noon- a lot of it blew off the trees and power lines in the wind.

I've never been down to that bridge, but it's a ways out of my way.

Red said...

Why is it that appointments are on the nasty weather days? Or at least that's how it seems.

Christine said...

So glad you made it to your appointment and back safely!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Best wishes for happy results from the test. I do love the way you make everything a fun adventure (although the snow/ice and crud like that I could do without) ... I'm talking more about how you enjoy the ride -- take and share the fun pictures -- and always enjoy a nice meal out. Keep on keeping on! Hope you get some spring weather soon.