Sunday 29 October 2017

Canada Geese as icons!

Canada Geese are popular icons in Canada. This is an ashtray my parents had, it was to mark the anniversary of a company (1902 – 1962). Dad got lots of swag, back in the day. He worked as an Architectural Hardware Consultant for Canada Hardware Company, which went bankrupt around 1980. He would read blueprints, make hardware lists from that, then the firm he worked for would bid on projects. All this with Gr. 10 education. He was meticulous.

I did some research into this brass company, and found the generations. The business was established in 1892 and is the first and only one in Canada to manufacture brass trimmings for furniture.
Mr. Lewis W. Hahn, president of Hahn Brass Ltd., announced this week that the former Brass Company building on Waterloo St. has been sold to Acton Home builders’ Supplies of Hamilton, Jan. 1960Amalgamated intoTHE STANLEY WORKS LIMITED.  Hahn Brass factory site was taken over in 1969 by Riverside Brass.

UPDATE: I sent an email to the current owners of the Hahn building:
 Riverside Brass & Aluminum Foundry Limited 

Thanks for the info Jennifer.  We build an addition onto the 1892 Hahn Brass building in 1985—a new 6500 square foot foundry.  We currently operate two shifts out of it and likewise the same in our Hamilton Road foundry.

Thanks for the info—the foundry history continues in New Hamburg.

David

David N. Seyler President 

I love the geese, I miss seeing them on the lake. I would sit on the dock and watch them. The babies have grown, and all are flying. Here are some old lake photos I wanted to see again, followed by a new video from Carleton Place. Gotta love that sound!



This video gives you an idea of how many geese gather in one spot. There were hundreds. I love the sound. They will fly south in huge flocks, as in the last photo, above.
Canada Geese from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

9 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Sadly, Canada Geese are seen as something of a pest in these here parts, as their migration tends to have them raiding early-planted crops... equally, geese from Russia can be a problem. UK is a 'crossroads tavern'!!! YAM xx

Nancy J said...

My Dad had to leave primary school when he was about 11, and his parents could not afford to send him further away to a secondary school. He went on to be secretary, president, and more of the primary school, boat clubs, bowling club, and was wonderful with words. Likewise my Mum,words and sewing, and crosswords, ( guess I inherited some of those) and to see the plates and know your Dad's work history and ethics is a reminder of how talent would be there even with less schooling. The geese and goslings, beautiful. Down here, nests are being built, thrush, fantails, tuis, blackbirds. and starlings in their boxes. It is spring.

Olga said...

I have some special memories of going to nearby ponds and rivers to watch the geese gathering for their flight south.

William Kendall said...

Wonderful shots of the geese! It doesn't take long with those babies to grow up!

Christine said...

Pretty dish thanks fir the info and nice to leArn about your incredible dad.

Anvilcloud said...

Well CP is certainly a good place to find geese.

DeniseinVA said...

I love them too. One of my happy moments when I hear them them honking as they fly over the house. That is a real treasure from your parents and interesting to learn something about your dad. I have a print hanging in our family room that I bought when we first moved here 26 years ago. It is of a pair of Canada Geese in the snow. Thank you for sharing these super photos and video Jenn and happy week to you.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I like the goose with all the water droplets on the head!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I miss their cousins who have migrated (permanently I think ) to the area where we used to live on the Lake here in Oregon. Especially when they were raising their little fuzz-ball babies.