Sunday 19 July 2015

Dock on the frog pond

The frog pond
I really wanted a dock, in order to get out and watch the frogs, tadpoles, pond puppies, snakes, turtles, toe biters, and all the other bugs, without donning boots and wading in.

Ken delivered the first pieces, including the hardware. Then, I realized I wanted more used dock sections. I sent hubby down for me, as I needed to rest my back. An employee delivered these and commented, "Are you on the lake?" I explained it was a frog pond!

I am hoping that next year, when the wood ducks come back, I'll be able to plunk the trailcam on the end of the dock and actually get photos of them! Our muskrats have gone, I guess they cleaned out the pond and needed fresh pickin's!

This is a dock over the water, with two new legs and braces, but recycled dock pieces from one that was removed and replaced. Hubby helped me down with the first load, after I attached the legs.

The impact on the pond is minimal compared to wading in and disturbing the sediment. It's difficult getting photos from the shore. It's about knee-deep, and over my boots on the second day of work. It was a laugh, really. Once, I stuck in the muck and nearly fell over.



When I was working I saw some large bullfrog tadpoles and pond puppies. No photos, my back is too sore and the bugs too bad. I didn't want to handle them with oil on, either!

Ken, at the lumber store, gave me a plan, and a couple of strategies. 

My feline helpers didn't deign to come down to the pond. The bugs were horrible, truthfully!
Buster and Annabelle were curious.


Beside Annie is the footing for the leg. It nestled into the muck and clay and is very stable.


The legs and braces attached, down we went.
leg braced


Dorah was the first cat to come onto the dock!  I think she liked it!

14 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Cool a new dock, it will be a great spot for your cam. Cute kitties and frog! Happy Sunday!

eileeninmd said...

Cool a new dock, it will be a great spot for your cam. Cute kitties and frog! Happy Sunday!

Debbie said...

awwwwww, the best laid plans...it's nice to see things come together!!!!

DeniseinVA said...

The new dock looks great. That is quite an accomplishment building a new one. Enjoyed your photos :)

William Kendall said...

That's quite a project! I see Annabelle likes the traditional rub her head against everything technique.

Anonymous said...

You will be spending lots of time on the dock and the cam will be great there.

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

You will be spending lots of time on this new dock.

Out To Pasture said...

Great idea, Jennifer! I see many dockside adventures to come. The biting insects are bad here, as well. They drove me indoors this morning.

Nancy J said...

Ah, you clever girl, looks great, and perfect for the trail cam. Photo of you at the far end, one to frame and keep, and label " Look what I made". Do you have to dig the legs in and cement them in place? Or weight them down? Email. I read and re-read. how hard life is at times. Hugs and more XXX

Jenn Jilks said...

I simply used Fedock-type legs, Nancy J!
They sit in the muck, on top of the clay, on top of the bedrock. We have such shallow soil here. The first trick was to hold it on its side, shove the legs into the braces, and tip it over.
The next trick was to lever them up, and screwing in the bolts at the same time!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
That is looking just grand!!! That pond looks a lot deeper than knee high... YAM xx

Red said...

You're really handy! What you really wanted was a boardwalk over the pond!

Kay L. Davies said...

How wonderful that you have a dock, or a boardwalk as Red calls it.
If anyone deserves a dock, dear Jenn, it is you.
Luv, K

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That's an ambitious project. I too would call it a boardwalk! The Parks in Florida have those through the wetlands (otherwise we'd all be drowned or mired in slime, not good when there are alligators). It's so pretty around your place and I can't wait for you to get those woodducks on your cam.