Tuesday 17 December 2013

Action at the bird feeders in these extreme subzero temperatures!

Late morning news... we had a cardinal today!

When I awoke at 5:30 a.m. it was -30˚ C. There were hungry cats on the prowl. The moon shone and reflected on the snow. It was a gorgeous morning. I went back to bed to get warm!
There is much going on at the feeder. I love watching them. In my imagination, I create stories!
Mourning Dove: "There's a fine looking Blue Jay!"

Another lands on the roof peering around.
The snow flies
"Hey there. Come here often?"

American Sparrow on the tree

"My turn for food!"

Then a golfinch took up the post,
with an incoming chickadee!

It looks at me, "Do I HAVE to share?"

"I'm outnumbered!"

"Back off, buster!"

9 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh my goodness those birds are lucky to have you taking care of them in this weather. Great pictures here; the one of the sparrow on the snow covered tree could be a Christmas card!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

They are nice birds in the bird house, like the Bluejay

EG CameraGirl said...

Looks like the birds are loving your feeders!

Hilary said...

Our feeders are mostly dominated by bluejays. We do also get sparrows, juncos and a hairy woodpecker. But mostly jays. No cardinals yet.

It was a very cold here too, overnight and snowy right now. Lovely pics or your sweet birdies.

Christine said...

Very active feeder! Surprised they are out in the cold.

eileeninmd said...

You have a nice variety of feeders birds. I love to watch the action. Great photos!

Red said...

In nasty weather there is lots of feeder activity. and also just before nasty weather comes in birds load up at the feeder.

Powell River Books said...

That's so great to feed the birds. There may be food out there, but yours is readily available. - Margy

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
What a delightful gathering!! Their stories MUST be told &*> YAM xx