Thursday 4 November 2010

backyard antics: you turkeys!

I love the action in our backyard.

First, Oliver and his deer are developing a relationship!



Next, a new critter he's never come face to face with.




Good old deer, guarding the feeder from the turkeys! Today they were having a party. Perhaps to celebrate making it through Thanksgiving? Three cats sat spellbound in the house. The one turkey was flashing some lovely feathers. I would love to have some for the dream catcher I'm making. Maybe he'll drop some?!

7 comments:

Powell River Books said...

That's a mess of turkeys. They must be up your way avoiding the US Thanksgiving event. - Margy

Jenn Jilks said...

True, Margy! But huntin' season is upon us!

Judy said...

Wow! That is a huge flock of turkeys! I wonder how many of them will make it through the winter? I have found some turkey feathers on the downwind side of the old soybean field. Not sure what I will do with them...

Jenn Jilks said...

Judy, I'm desperate for some for my dreamcatcher! I'm using a hula hoop~!
We need to meet!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great videos. The cat is hilarious. We had a cat when I was a kid in Arizona that would stalk the horses and our neighbors cows. His name was "Crazy' for a reason.

I love wild turkeys. It is just so cool to come upon a flock. It is even cooler when they come to you.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You chose a remarkable place to live Jenn! Wonderful pictures. We have a few wild turkeys and some deer near where we are staying now, but not in such great abundance. Lovely photos.

Jenn Jilks said...

Thanks, Yogi, glad Ollie has compadres!

Sallie, the deer are pretty scare. Their numbers have dwindled due to predators, and an open hunting season when they thought they were too plentiful. These days they can only hunt the bucks. Many complain that the deer are in their gardens, but we moved into their territory and we have to adapt!