Friday 4 December 2009

winter snow squalls

Winter Haiku has begun. Visit us at the blog site.
If you are unsure about haiku technique, scroll down, or visit my how-to blog post.
True, Western haiku is harder than it looks!

 sumac wearing snow hats
 blue jays devour red berries
--hawk eyes her prey

raccoons dream dreams of spring--
cat awaits with patience
under the bird feeder



Haiku

English-language haiku consist of "three content categories":

  • Nature haiku / Human haiku (senryu) / Human plus nature haiku (hybrids).
(see: E. St Jacques for more examples)

in construction:
  • three lines with 17 or fewer "on" (not syllables) in total.
  • tend to be about nature
  • include a kigo, or season word
  • serious
  • written in the present tense
  • relates a moment of discovery/surprise (the "aha!" moment):
  • includes a kireji (cutting word*)

2 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I agree with you Jenn that haiku are not easy. As they are mostly in the present tense they rely, I think, upon a sudden image or realisation - they are spontaneous.
How about this one I wrote some time ago:-

Crows sit on the wires
Making black arpeggios
In the evening sky.

Have a good week-end.

Jenn Jilks said...

I think I remember this one, Weaver, and it is wonderful. It really captures the spirit of haiku. I have been pleased with my latest ones, but keep on writing them, as one can go back and play around with them! Besides, I get an idea and don't want to lose it in a senior's moment!!!