Friday 28 August 2009

Bloggers: Celebrate your world

I love to write and reflect. This began in April, 2006, when I moved far from friends, family, and my social network, taking a new job closer to become a caregiver for failing parents. Previously I'd only written for educational publications.

I depended upon e-mail to keep in touch with the real world. Then, writing my book about my parents, I incorporated my e-mails into my text. The glory and beauty of Muskoka inspired me and kept me going. Here is an excerpt:

What a lovely drive into work. I felt a sense of peace in the drive. This was when I depressurized. The scene changed every day. I saw two large turkey vultures at the side of the road. They eyed me as I passed. On another day, there was a fox trotting perkily along the side of the road. She seemed happy that humans had made her a nice trail. It sure made hunting easier!

I drove by these gorgeous lakes and trees, noticing the snow and ice slowly melting, as I followed my daily route to work. Each day, nature painted a few more dabs of colour on the trees. They were red, yellow, and dark brown buds of promise and they looked beautiful. Then, in the night, nature painted the buds a little more and a little more until I could no longer see the trees and homes behind. Soon enough the leaves burst into beautiful green and the tiny, isolated cottages became invisible behind them once more.
I navigated my way home from work, oblivious to the furor at home. Along the highway, I passed sparkling lakes and shadowy forests; I turned the heat on in the car and opened up the sunroof. It was good to feel the sun.

Many face health issues with failing parents. I documented my trials here in Central Ontario, since navigating health care in rural Ontario is different than that of the city. Cuts are being made to rural health care, and this is going to impact access for those without means, such as transportation. Then, I realized that there is little documentation of issues like safety and the many so-called accidents (needless drownings) related to boats or swimming in cottage country. There is a pattern, and it is frightening.

In addition, what with the economic situation and the troubles newspapers are facing, I really believe it is we amateurs who must blog to celebrate and laud our regions. Local reporters are being cut from local papers. Local papers feature nationally syndicated writers, e.g., Arthur Black who resides in B.C., who have little to do with regional events. Add to that: none in provincial media appeared to mention Gravenhurst's tornado. The local papers (which publish weekly) captured the stunning images of friends helping friends, and crews cleaning up, but not until the Wednesday following the Thursday event.

Many thanks to my followers. I promise to visit you virtually in your neck of the woods.
Thank you, all, for your kind comments. I am reluctant to say 'thank you' each time, but I am most grateful. Plus, people do not always check back in once they post! I know I have lurkers who read and do not comment. My children read it to see what the old f@rts are up to!

Tomorrow I shall post about our lovely anniversary dinner. Scrumptious food and celebrated chefs abound in Muskoka!

Here is my video-celebration of Muskoka:

5 comments:

Vagabonde said...

I started blogging this past March and I enjoy it a lot. I also enjoy reading various blogs while browsing the Net and have found some very interesting ones – there are so many, then I don’t have any time left to write my posts. Before I retired I also had a lovely ride to work (still do when I go to town) a huge Civil War park. This did help get the stress off and get depressurized as you say.

Lorac said...

I started in April this year and I am amazed how much I have seen and learned since then!

I saw a meme that looked like fun so I have decided to try it and send it out to a few bloggers.

So, here is the ritual:

1) Open up you first photo album

2) Scroll down to the 10th picture.

3) Post that picture and write the story that goes with the picture.

Azure Accessories said...

I enjoy blogging and clicking around visiting my favorite blogs but I don't seem to have enough time to post as often as I'd like! Maybe if I didn't visit so many blogs I'd have more time...:0) but then I'd miss my friends and what they have to say!

Cheers

Carolyn said...

Jenn, thank you so much for this post. Truer words were never spoken. Living in the North with the CBC our only radio if you do not have a satallite dish we are noticing the cuts backs as our news is Vancouver news, traffic reports are Vancouver reports and nothing of the northern life is shared with the rest of the province. Give yourself a pat on the back Jenn, you do a great job, we do a great job!
Blessings and smiles

Anonymous said...

Hi from one of your lurkers. :-) I have a love of the Muskoka area and reading your blog allows me to visit every day. Thank you....