Friday 24 April 2009

Poetry Month - sources of information

In this, poetry month, I have found several places to find prompts, and/or sources of inspiration, including poetry styles, ideas, photos.

A poem of regret is suggested from Blog Writer's Digest. They offer poetry groups, and sell books, but they also talk about various poetry forms. I found this a good source of a prompt, in that playing with language, rhyme and syllables is good for the brain cells. If you are stuck, go to an on-line rhyming dictionary, there are lots of free ones about!

ReadWritePoem is one constant source in inspiration. Reading other's poetry is another source:
ReadWritePoem Participants. Reading other's poetry always gives me a source. Whether they are 'good' or 'bad', you can learn from what works for you. Some forms work better than others for us, but it is really good to stretch your skills, and add to your writing practice. The Blog Writer's Digest offers Poet's Market updates, too.
A handy piece for some. I just write for fun!

NaPoWriMo: the noises around me is one of the daily prompts (this from April 23). These prompts, that evoke sensory images and immediate sources, work best for me. I like to write from a place of knowledge and immediate inspiration. We write best when we write what we know.

Some are establishing their own groups: Sam Proof, Poetry Dances, as well as the more popular groups mentioned above. Find a kindred spirit and give each other feedback. You need not live in the same city or even the same country! It is a joyful way to play with language.


External links:

2 comments:

Derrick said...

Hello Jenn,

I have been looking through your poetry and congratulate you for stamina in this poetry month! Many different thought and feelings. I also took a look at the Napowrimo(?) site. Its prompts are interesting. I even had a go (for myself) at their 'seeing red' suggestion. Thanks!

Jenn Jilks said...

Thank you, Derrick. I am fading fast, however. I have a palliative care client this week, what with Red Cross Workers on strike, and the poetry is keeping me focused.

I think I will postpone poetry month on some topics - they just don't hit me.
Thanks for stopping by and your your encouragement.