Friday 17 October 2008

Carbon Tax Propaganda

There is no question that carbon pollution in a world-wide issue. What is the worst part of this crisis is the exponential increase in larger developing/developed countries (billions of people in China and India) who are becoming more affluent and adding to pollution by buying cars.

Jim Taylor's blog on Runaway Carbon, totally surprised me. I must admit that I have deep concerns about the 'green shift'.

Imagine my amazement when I heard David Suzuki hosting a show, a week before the election, and talking about M. Dion's Carbon Tax. On CBC, my tax dollars going to pay for propaganda to convince me to vote for a particular candidate and his plank. I was shocked.

On The Current, 10/10/08 Battle of the Ecos
I heard Dr. Suzuki hosting and interviewing guests who are in favour of a carbon tax. During the election I heard a lot about this topic. I am worried.
There are those who say it is doing well in Norway. I went to my Pocket World in Figures, 2008 (The Economist) and created a comparison chart. I had heard someone say that there is no way to be able to compare these two countries as they are so disparate.

Norway has a vastly different geopolitical, and human framework than our country.

Dr. Suzuki played a comment by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation. They cite concerns that the impact on taxpayers will be onerous. I agree, but Peter Victor*, teacher at York U. , author of Managing by said that the Canadian Taxpayers Federation 'has more credence than we should be giving them'. WHAT? Who else will stand up for us?

Some say NO to a carbon tax. I do, too. We must change the way we think about the environment. I think it is clear that we HAVE rejected the carbon tax plan. I cannot see that it will work.
Those who can least afford to pay more for food, shelter, clothing will be the most affected in Canada. M. Dion says they will get taxes back, but those living in poverty, and the working poor, do not PAY taxes. Instead, these increased business costs will trickle down. Big business will continue to pollute and we will pay for it through the nose.

I was shocked to hear Dr. Suzuki in the fray. Until we stop giving ourselves permission to pollute (carbon credits - more like earth debits) we must lobby and convince friends, neighbours, regional politicians, provincial, federal governments and other countries. We must get together and reduce this massive goal of profits at any cost.

Those with lots of cash will continue to run their heated pools, hot tubs, and resorts will run as they always have, charging a bit more to those that have, while the have-nots will not benefits from any reduction. We cannot force people to respect the environment by taxing their fuel-related expenditures. We can take responsibility for watching what business do and monitor their energy use, pollution levels and convince the public not to buy overpackaged goods, leave their cars at home, and turn down the thermostat.
education Muskoka
Here in Muskoka many earn a living in the services sectors. Most only old a certificate, trade or diploma. Salaries are not high, $15,000 lower than the provincial average. Contractors, who depend on being available to drive to jobs (which could be 35 km apart), will be hard-pressed to earn a living.

Heating costs are more expensive here in the north, as in many locations. We retirees will pay more to simply shop in town. We are on a fixed income. I retired early to help my parents in their passing. This just doesn't feel right to those who can least afford to pay it. The costs of setting up this infrastructure will be huge. Think of the hand gun registry!

~~~~
*Peter Victor: Ecological Economics, Managing without growth: slower by design, not disaster

I very much enjoyed Roy MacGregor's election deconstruction. The election results and the economic crisis requires much thought and discourse.

No comments: