Friday 20 July 2007

ducks galore

It was a lovely start to the morning. peaceful
I went down to the lake to putter: check the solar powered pump.
As I was pondering life in general, I spotted the mamma duck and 6 ducklings(I am glad there are still 6).

She is a model of parenting ability. When she spotted me she gave a bit of a quark. And they came closer to her. As I quietly stood there, not moving a muscle, they went past. She kept up her murmurings, she hissed in my general direction, just letting me know that she was in charge.

They went past and then, when I didn't attack them, relaxed some. The ducklings would pop, butt upwards, looking for greens, then they would take a little leap upwards to grab a bug that was sunning on a plant.
IMG_1900.JPG
As mom relaxed a more adventurous one came back towards me. She let the little one lead. As they all came a little closer, they went back the way they had come. After a moment momma didn't think this was a good idea. She gave a little quack and then another and IMMEDIATELY they all lined up behind her. No questions. She was confident that they were all there, and they motored down the way, resuming their trek.

If only human parents could ensure the safety of their kids this way. That ebb and flow as they swim along the river of life. Knowing when to let them go, when to release them and let them take a risk.

Of course, there used to be 9 or 10 ducklings. Cycle of life...

No comments: