Wednesday 9 September 2015

Book Review: Godfit

Godfit
At first, I wasn't sure what to make of it. Now, I am spiritual, but I don't attend church anymore. Organized religion wasn't for me.

I found the book quite startling. It must be a rather niche market, Fundamentalist Christian workouts. If you are a Christian, it wouldn't such a shock. It makes sense, that your mind, body and spirit are interconnected. As an educator, I certainly looked after my students using an holistic approach. 

I like the automatic structure of such a workout strategy. Every morning at 10:00 a.m., I go down to the basement and do my thing. I usually do a work out on my elliptical machine for 30-minutes every morning. I watch the news, especially with the political campaigns in full swing!

AUTHOR | John Hayden

Hayden cites six spiritual disciplines you need to incorporate into your regime: solitude, meditation, prayer, simplicity, study and service. I'm not certain that someone unable to develop a fitness routine could establish a spiritual discipline. You are required to meditate on a certain biblical passage first. 

The website also offers on-line videos to teach you how to properly do the exercises, to work with a kettle bell, for example. My daughter, who does Crossfit, suggested that using something like a kettle bell, on your own, could be dangerous. You really need someone to teach you the proper technique and even then you need someone to ensure you do it the right way every time. 

I really think that regular classes and training courses, with a mentor or trainer are the best thing. 


1 comment:

William Kendall said...

Not for me, I think, but good review!