Saturday 28 July 2012

Like moths to the flame


Cabbage Moth
I have done quite a few photos up of my butterflies, with moths taking a lesser role. But living where we are in rural S.E. Ontario, I am finding some larger moths that have caught my camera's eye.

There are many Identification Tools on the web. I prefer to use BAMONA, with the pros telling me for sure what I have found!
We know that the Internet is more of a cybergarage sale, rather than an encyclopedia of trusted sources with gems here and there, but also lots of junk. I hesitate to name new species to me. I loathe leading people astray, as some are wont to do.

Did you know? National Moth Week July 23-29, 2012
Why moths? With more than 10,000 species in North America alone, moths offer endless options for study, education, photography, and fun. Moths can be found everywhere from inner cities and suburban backyards, to the most wild and remote places. The diversity of moths is simply astounding. 

Visit the National Moth Week website for more information, or read the press release (pdf).

This was out in the day - just lovely!




They inspired me:

Nighthawks
The cats want out in the dark to play
Coyote howls keeping them at bay
Jenny sits on the porch with the bugs
Mosquitoes try to give more than hugs
Moths they flitter: fragrant bloom to bloom
Tree Frogs eyes glitter for prey they swoon

The Tree Frogs love the dark. I have one that lived in our mailbox last year, but this year is hanging out in a plant our aunt gave us!
They must get their fair share of moths, drawn to our lights at night. They leave their tell-tale poo on railings for me to clean up in the morning.

First are the smaller moths I've spotted. I apologize, but Moths are not my speciality, I'm not sure if I want to purchase another moth book, although there are several available.

For moth identification assistance, try the North American Moth Photographers Group, the Cirrus Digital Imaging site, or John Snyder's Web Images of North American Moth Species
I can name some, not others! There are so many out there, and very hard to photograph in the night. There are a couple of diurnal moths, still hard to photograph for this amateur!



Synanthedon acerni – Maple Callus Borer Moth From moths



For all of my photos: From moths
Imperial Moth 4", it was!
Then the larger ones: an Imperial Moth.  It was the size of my hand! It was IDd for me by a pro. I didn't have a clue! More photos are here.
From moths
This is the latest, I spotted it during Moth Week, in the evening.
A bit blurry, as it was in the dark, with the floodlights on!
Can you see its proboscus?


Here is a better view - flighty thing!
CC #225

7 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

A great post, so interesting and enjoyed your poem too. All the photos were super. Thank you!

joanne said...

we do tend to ignore moths, although some of them are worthy of our notice.....some have wings as lovely as butterflies.....great pics

Red said...

You have an interesting blog because you never know what you'll get. ..lots of natural science, safety, pets animals, landscaping grand children, music. It's always a treat to read.
so today I'm impressed what you have to say about moths.

Pat said...

Lots of nice moth photos!

EJ said...

Beautiful shots. Visiting from Camera critters.

Our CRITTERS, your comment will be greatly appreciated. Have a great Saturday!

Kerri Farley said...

Wonderful captures!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Lovely shots. Hopping by from camera critters.

Some Cardinal shots, come and see.