Friday 31 July 2009

Noises in the forest


The planes are screaming by overhead - either tourists, or an accident (OPP big, black helicopter) or more rehearsals by OPP for the G8 in Huntsville. Who knew we were on a flight path?!

Actually, the over head air traffic frightens me, since I know it is often an accident if it the helicopter. Mind you, the helicopters did fly around with hydro poles during hurricane-caused repairs in 2006. They were a welcome, if bizarre sight!

The diversity of the natural world amazes me. But the planes put me in awe, too.

Just sitting around, ironically, doing my Skywatch Friday post, not really watching the sky. I heard some noises in the forest. A squawking bird of some sort. I hadn't heard it before. I hadn't a clue about what it was.

Just when I think I have seen and heard it all, the universe rewards me with a deeper love and appreciation of the world around me.

And I have learned my lessons: plug in all digital equipment overnight, and, at the least temptation, grab the videocam!


6 comments:

Grizz………… said...

Ha! I have pileated woodpeckers around all the time—cats, too—but that's the first time I've ever heard such a racket from these birds! This is just a great video. Mine would simply have squawked a time or two and flown off, miffed at being disturbed. Your pair hung around and told that cat what they thought about its presence. How funny! Loved this!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You have busy skies for a resort area.

Jenn Jilks said...

We do have busy skies, Yogi. We have one cottager who comes up from the city (2-hour drive) in his plane. It beats the traffic.

Yes, Griz, our wildlife seem to have an understanding. I have a raccoon video where Sady pretends to chase it! As much as I get upset with Ollie taking chipmunks [See Bearly there], the larger, smarter critters seem to have a deal with our cats. I think that it is just that the forest hides the birds so well, and they are so obvious when the leaves fall. (Or maybe I am not so observant! I watch our waterfowl in summer as I miss them so in winter.)

Lorac said...

I decided to beat the traffic and head up in the morning weee hours instead of tonight. Sounds like traffic is bad already.
Love the pecker head!

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Isn't he beautiful?!! We had one here on our property near Montreal this spring. He left 3 huge holes in one old pear tree, and 2 huge holes in another. Rather than just peck a hole, he seemed to peck, then gouge and gather, and then toss the wood he had whittled away over his shoulder.

It has become quite a "tourist attraction" looking at these beautiful, perfectly rounded, 4-inch across, holes in our trees.

Then he was gone - off to greener pastures . . .

Thanks for the video!

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely woodpeckers, nice to get such a long look at them...