Thursday 22 February 2024

Backyard Chad coyote visitation

<= That was chilly! This morning: 3 C. and it was raining.




I warmed up by playing Angry Birds! 

Fair warning, people. We've stories of people in pairs doing this in parking lots across the province: Belleville, Barrhaven, Kemptville, Carleton Place, etc.

Great excitement in the yard, Wednesday, Feb. 21st! JB was watching the deer out the kitchen window, and he spotted a pair of coyote ears peeking up behind the wood pile. I grabbed my camera, when he called for me. Coyote ducked back down, went behind the shed. 

This is what I saw outside, out on the back deck, while Archie turkey complained most miserably. 

backyard coyote from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

It warmed up, and the sunshine was delightful. I went walkies to fetch trailcam cards, and to see if I could figure out where the coyote came from. The first thing I found was some deer fur. Somebody got into conflict.

 

I wandered around, looking for evidence. Lots of tracks, they seemed to come from across the highway, along the drive, through the forest on top of the frozen snow.



This morning we are back to 'normal,' except the wind is really spooking them. They are vigilant. Duke, formerly known as Prince William, is hanging in. His ankle has been dislocated since Feb. 1st. He helped himself to lilac twigs. In spring the buds swell, and provide some food.



Duke and Archie have at it from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Earlier in the morning, they were here from 1:38 until 1:46 a.m., there are reasons they they gather in winter yards. There is safety in numbers. A coyote can't take down a deer on its own, here in the forest. There are no fences, and they just run faster. They came towards the camera only a couple minutes before and then stood here thinking about things:

12 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Beautiful deer. The coyotes must be pretty hungry this time of year. Hope they find smaller critters for their food. Glad your cats stay inside most of the time!

RedPat said...

I wouldn't want to run into the coyote. I'm always on the lookout here in the ravines since there seem to be a lot of them around.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Love that night vid... and Duke and Archie... I'll be getting my final load into the van of off and away this evening; blow me down if it isn't blowing a hoolie, and blattering prodigious amounts of wet, of course... YAM xx

Christine said...

Wildlife is alive and well.

Jeanie said...

Watch the cats with the coyote! I know you know that -- but be careful!

Anvilcloud said...

Today's walk downtown was quite wonderful, almost spring-like.

Cloudia said...

Your show is better than anything on TV!

Red said...

sometimes the deer stand and wait for another from the herd.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I would not want to see a Coyote up close or in my neighborhood.
I love the deer and turkey, great images.
Take care, have a great weekend.

Patio Postcards said...

You have quite a herd of deer visiting you. I know that nature will have her way, but I wouldn't want those coyotes any where near, fearing for Duke, the deer formally known as Prince William.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jenn :=)
Lovely video of the dear. They were alert as though they sensed a coyote nearby. Shame about the young dear with the dislocated ankle. I hope it doesn't lose it's leg. Great sighting of the Coyote, but not creatures you want near your home.Lovely snow scenes in the sun.
All the best
Sonjia

Kay said...

Something about seeing wild turkeys that always amazes me. You have so many interesting things to see in your woods. What fun!