Friday 17 November 2023

Pumpkins, walkies and bird watching

OK, I harvested some pumpkin seeds. I roasted them while I was preparing dinner the other day. Nothing like standing around watching food cook. That's what my former client, age 96 with 10 kids, used to complain about. Anyway, the next day, I couldn't find them. Turns out, I'd left them in the oven, having turned it off to fetch them later. Ain't old age grand?


I went walkies. This tree grew overtop a dead log. It has an interesting kink. Now that the log is rotting, I hope it doesn't fall over. 


Birdwatching has been fun. The goldfinch are wearing their winter suits. This one kept moving from behind the small bird feeder. 



Last weekend (Nov.11/12th), there was a flock of about a half dozen robins! They have since disappeared.



We've had a mild spell. I relented and moved 4 more frogs to the wetland. This brings my total up: 
I've officially moved 141 frogs. One escaped me in the pond. We've rain today. It might pop up in the double-digit weather. 



16 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Some gamer is going to come up with a character of the Frog Saving Princess - or Queen. How about Queen of the Frog Savers? As my son once said about me and some little critters, you are their god!

Kathy G said...

Were the pumpkin seeds salvageable, or did they get overcooked

RedPat said...

I've seen a flock of Robins this week. And there are a lot of crows around.

Christine said...

We are enjoying the mild spell!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
It is great you are helping with the frog population.
Love your feeder birds, I miss seeing the Chickadees in my yard.

Take care, have a wonderful weekend.

Cloudia said...

Thanks Jenn 🌺

Elephant's Child said...

Bird watching is great isn't it?

Red said...

Since you are a youngster, I'll give you what my Dad would say, "You ain't seen nothin yet."

Rain said...

You are the frog lady! ☺☺ Nothin' like watching paint dry too lol! ☺

Ontario Wanderer said...

9 times out of 10 when I cannot id a bird at the feeder with my eyes, the binoculars show me a winter goldfinch.

Kay said...

141 frogs? That's amazing! Aren't those chickadees? I used to love watching them in winter.

Anvilcloud said...

Robins don't seem to return here once they head for the forests in spring after raising their broods.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm always impressed by your bird photos. We saw the first chickadee in a long time the other day but haven't seen it since. We don't get goldfinches on our patio at all so seeing yours is a treat.

I'm glad you found your seeds. I probably would've found them only after pre-heating the oven for something else lol

tz_garden said...

I had to laugh at the forgotten pumpkin seeds. Oh well! 141 frogs, wow that is quite a bit of frog herding.

Jeanie said...

Come Friday my pumpkins will go to the far corner of the yard by the woodpile and get cracked open for the critters. Tis the season!

William Kendall said...

The mild spell is done now.