Tuesday 28 March 2023

River Otter Quest – part III

 I know you are anxious to see how we did on our quest! 😜It was a failure for otter hunting. We have to see the positive, though. It is lovely seeing the open water, the old barns, interesting homes. 

I agree with JB, the place we were looking for is like Brigadoon, and only appears in odd years. This was it, and we cannot find it.

2013

We kept on driving. The Skootamata river, thought to come from Ojibwa words meaning 'burnt shoreline,' is a lovely river.



Look at the open water! YIPPEEEEEEE!!!! 




This was a delightful little river, with a quaint sign. It is, indeed, crooked!



The Mazinaw-Lanark County Forest was impacted by the tornado in July, 2022. (I wrote about that yesterday.) It is a sustainable forest on Crown Land.



Here is a wrap-around deck, which JB loves. 




Flinton is a town that celebrates the bike trails in Lennox and Addington. You can download a map of the trails. They are closed, due to the tornadoes.


It was time to head back home along Highway #7. I had numb bum! 
This must be an old root cellar.

Lots of posts need repair. Victims of winter incidents.

But the rocks, without snow! Hooray for spring!

We arrived home, after the 3-hour marathon. Happily, hubby went out and bought me a Hawaiian pizza, and himself a vegan one. I didn't have to cook. His first since he was diagnosed with dairy, yeast and egg intolerances. He enjoyed it!

My late client, who passed away during COVID, used to complain about the hours she would have to stand and watch food cook. I often think of her. I loved her. She had a passel of kids in her day. I stand at the stove and think of the times we laughed.

Just for fun, here are the river otters from 2013

 Hubby made me get out of the house that day. Said I needed a change of scenery. We went looking for birds and open water. We found otters (3, methinks) bugging the Canada Geese!

Otters at Buttermilk Falls from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

This was on our dock! I video the ducks in spring before the vernal pond dries up. The otters did not hang around, as they are river otters, not lake otters! 😉

River otters from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Other otter travels:

15 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

What a gorgeous drive. I envy you seeing otters - even if they were in hiding this trip.

Tom said...

...a wonderful tour.

Patio Postcards said...

You certainly did get out & see a lot of interesting things. I think the River Otters were playing with you, they knew you were searching (col).

I once had to go to Kapuskasing for training & I was excited because it was in the Autumn during moose season. Alas for me, not a single moose was seen & the folks I was training were all complaining that their husbands had not had a single capture of one. Bad luck to the hunters, but I was good luck to the moose. :)

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

What a fun trip! Otters are so cool.

Barbara Rogers said...

Well, in 10 years they may have found better pickings elsewhere. But the two playing on the ice are precious, not to mention those who visited your dock. Great captures.

Anvilcloud said...

Nice trip but it OTTER had turned out better.

William Kendall said...

Otters are really fun to watch.

Rain said...

No otters this time around, but you got pizza, so that sounds like a fair deal to me! ☺

Cloudia said...

What a pleasure to travel along with you. Hope you enjoyed our Hawaiian pizza, lol

RedPat said...

I've only seen a wild otter once - in a river in Florida. It was thrilling to see it.

Jeanie said...

Sounds like a quest and fun. I love the name Scootamata! And well done on finding a GF pizza! Can't beat that!

I'm behind and probably won't comment on everything but definitely reading down!

Red said...

I understand why you are looking for otters. They are very interesting critters. I hope you find them.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hardly any snow!! Good for you!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Sorry you didn't find any otthers this time! I enjoyed watching the videos, it's particularly amazing to watch the otters playing on the snow

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm hoping Brigadoon shows up for you. The otters would be such a treat!