Sunday 1 January 2023

Here we are: 2023!


I'm trying not to look back. The shows that review all the horrid news of the last year don't really help. And at my age, the best has been. We are slowly reducing our circle of influence. We are more often asking for advice from kids than giving it out!

Our life experiences have led us to some wisdom. Joseph Brian had an interesting discussion at the grocery store. He and another customer were bemoaning lack of staff. JB pointed out that too many people are sick with flu, RSV and common colds. Many staff aren't paid if they don't go to work, nor do they have benefits.  The customer circled back after shopping, and said that she'd never thought about it that way.

Retirees forget what the work world is like. Employees are making different choices. They want, need and deserve sick leave, and fair pay. 

Except for weather, it's often tough looking back. December was an interesting one for precipitation.


We shall see what January brings. It was 2020 that was so wet. The frog pond is thawed. Cinnamon and I went walkies in the rain yesterday, 23 mm (0.89"). 

The grass is turning green, but I know we'll move back into the cold soon.


19 comments:

Tom said...

...welcome to the new year, we are both still here.

Barbara Rogers said...

Welcome to the new year...with pages and pages of surprises in the new book...some of which will be delightful, while you know already about the other kind. I wish you lots of delight!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Welcome to 2023! Take care, you two... Much Love, YAM xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I've been deleting any email newsletter that's a look back over the last year. Enough. I'm moving forward, though I also have moved into a place of less influence. I'm fine with that.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am very happy to be retired, comfortable, in good health and enjoying life. It does not escape me, however, that we may be the last generation to be able to do this. Workers' rights are being trampled everywhere and I was overjoyed when the labour unions in Ontario rose up against Doug Ford's use of the Notwithstanding Clause and forced him to back down. For readers who do not live in Canada this may not be understood but you will certsinly know what I am talking about.

Christine said...

Happy New Year!

Patio Postcards said...

Happy New Year Jenn. Hope that 2023 is a gentle year for all.

Nancy J said...

To you both, Many wishes for 2023 to be a happy year, with sunshine and laughter, family memories, and wordle to keep our brains active. XXX

Elephant's Child said...

A very, very Happy and Healthy New Year to you and yours.

RedPat said...

It looks and feels like spring here. I'm sure the other shoe will drop on us though.

Anvilcloud said...

Bottom-level jobs seem to be more abundant than just about any time that I can recall.

eileeninmd said...

Happy New Year to you, I wish you and yours all the best in 2023!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I hope you are enjoying the first day of the new year. Sometimes we have to look back in order to understand and respect the future.

I am saddened for the employees who must work or lose their jobs. Like in industry we had three days in SIX months we could be LATE OR OFF WORK, or we were fired if we didn't have a doctor's excuse. Even ONE minute late was a docked day.

Regardless, have a safe, healthy, joyful 2023, dear Jenn.

Red said...

I may be deluded but I still think that I'm in the game to some extent. I'm still active in two organizations. Sometimes it's hard to get out but we must still get out and socialize. Have a great 2023.

Kathy G said...

Happy New Year!

Olga said...

Happy 2023!
Green grass is a bit of a tease!

Hena Tayeb said...

Sorry to hear your year was not worth looking back on. Wishing you a better 2023.

William Kendall said...

Happy new year.

Lowcarb team member said...

Lots of good wishes coming across the miles from the UK.
Happy 2023.

All the best Jan