Tuesday 27 December 2022

Richard Deer, and other tails

 It's been a tough few days for many. We are doing well, though. We miss our usual Christmas with the kids, but we are warm and dry and have power. Jesse tried to do a Facetime with me on my birthday, Dec. 26, but they lost power and his cell phone was crackly. Whoopsie. It's the thought that counts, plus we had a good chat on Christmas day. There is lots of wind in Vancouver, causing power outages. He texted later and said they had power back. Whew! 

☏ I remember trying to phone long distance to my parents in Muskoka on Christmas morning every year. Often the lines would be busy and we couldn't get through. You'd either wait, or hang up and redial that rotary phone! 

♪ Funny story, when we chatted with Caitlin and the girls Christmas Day, they told me the girls set an alarm for 7:30 a.m., and regaled them with a Silent Night duet to wake them up. Isabelle played her clarinet, and Josephine sung it in German! I was impressed. 

🐾 Monday morning I put the garbage out a bit late, having forgot, but someone reminded me. It was cold. I should have used the snow blower on the driveway. There is a layer of ice from our rainfall, but the drifts made it difficult to drag the cans. There is slush at the end of the driveway, as well. 


Can you spot the cat tracks in the snow? It has to be Oregano. Our cats haven't left the deck. He avoided all trailcams!

I was about to put the garbage out, and spotted my friends. I fed the deer after doing my chore.

morning crew from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


🦌 We've buck triplets, and one big buck, as has been the way. We had King Henry visited in January, 2022. Big Jake, in 2018. Big Daddy in 2015. There was Tigger and his brother, back in 2013. 

The coffee was ready when I got back in the house. This was our view out the kitchen window. I've removed the screen, and washed the inside of the window. That helps! I posted the photo on the family stream, and Caitlin named him for me: Richard Gere Deer – a handsome fellow. 



There is much action. Richard simply looks at them and they bolt! Alpha male. The fawns seem to tease him. 

In the afternoon, I got myself dressed, and used the snow blower on the driveway. (Yes, I put the garbage out in jammies!) It was a bit icy underneath, with drifts on one side, but I got it done. 

I spilled some bird seed on the deck. There are lots of little mouse and bird tracks. 



I'd given up putting the trailcams down in the forest. With the load of rain and snow, within 24 hours, I knew they wouldn't show me much. They get ice and snow covered, and fog up. This was fun.

deck birds from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

mice friends from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I put a trailcam on the bird feeder for night action. We have triplet bucks. This is one of them. It is the correct time, but the wrong date! Dec. 26th

young buck from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

cats on deck from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Our Christmas Dinner was a very respectable turkey TV dinner. JB did well getting them for us. He tucked away a frozen lasagna for me for my birthday, also very respectable. I supplemented it with pickled asparagus as hors d'oeuvres.  

More snow is on the way, but not as much. We shall see what the week brings.

20 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Happy belated birthday wishes. Videos of the triplet bucks are quite fun to watch.

Tom said...

...weather distrubed many Christmases this year.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Well done on making the meals easy for the festive! And all hail Richard Deer!!! YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Jenn
This past week was bitterly cold, I did not want to leave the house.
I am glad you were in touch with your family for both Christmas and your birthday! It is too cold for the kitties to be outside, they must have a thick layer of hair to keep them warm. I always enjoy seeing your deer photos and videos. Thanks for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and week ahead!

Anvilcloud said...

Glad you’re getting along. I suppose I should write something and post today.

Christine said...

A peaceful quiet Christmas is good

DUTA said...

I'm glad you're warm, dry, and no power outages.
As usual, I like your deer pictures very much.
Wishing you and your family a Happy New Year!

Mae Travels said...

Your deer photos are very beautiful. I know that they seem to be pests in our area — eating all the garden plantings — but they are still attractive animals.

best…. mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Gaelyn said...

Sounds good even if family wasn't there in person. I remember waiting for an open line on holidays. Handsome boys!.

Elephant's Child said...

Simple sounds good.
Happy belated birthday.

Nancy J said...

2022 Christmas will be one to remember for many years. Love the videos, those birds are having a wonderful time feeding. No wonder the dogs on the Iditarod wear bootees.

RedPat said...

There always seems to be a lot of action at your place.

DeniseinVA said...

That's a great header photo and fun photos and videos. I love "Richard Deer" :) The kitties on the deck made me smile. I don't blame them. I love snow but it's a challenge for us who have difficulty walking in flat shoes (that's me and the mouse in my pocket), speaking of which that's a sweet video of all the mice running around. Happy New Year to you, JB and your family Jenn. Thank you for the continuous smiles throughout.

Cloudia said...

You are my pioneer woman hero!

Lowcarb team member said...

We've been seeing the terrible weather and huge amount of snow on our UK news!
So pleased to read that you are warm, dry, and with no power outages ... may that last.

Take care, my good wishes.

All the best Jan

Red said...

That's a lot of snow to deal with. The critters seem to be very active.

William Kendall said...

Those deer are quite a delight.

Jeanie said...

I'm sorry you missed Christmas with the kids. It sounds like things were a mess everywhere.

Divers and Sundry said...

This weather has disrupted so many plans. I'm sorry yours were among them :(

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

So sorry I missed your birthday. I'm so far behind and want to catch up before the ball drops on 2022 in your world.