Tuesday 17 November 2020

COVID with the Grandies – Week 18 Monday

We woke up Monday to power. That was a good thing. We've some tree branches down. Rain and snow were anticipated. Although central Ontario has snow, it'll change to rain when it gets to us.


The birds at the feeders have been frantic for food. It's as if they know a storm is coming. Blue jays, goldfinches in their winter clothes, chickadees. One pair of cardinals. Lots of mourning doves.

The goldfinches have turned olive. I had trouble getting a photo. Mind you, I was pretty lazy, and sitting in my arm chair, but any closer and the birds take off. The video camera is pretty lame.

Up on the hill, there were two bucks. One older one, the other I couldn't see behind a tree. It was too dark for a photo at the time. We lost a branch in the storm.

Grampa was up early. He has garbage to put out, and a physiotherapy session at 8 a.m. The cats are a bit tired.

Isabelle and I were working on breakfast. I was refilling the cat food crunchies container. (It's pretty loud!) This is Daisy supervising, in 2014, just so you understand the process. 

Isabelle said, "To the cats – that must be the sound of heavenIt may as well be the angels singing!

After breakfast, some play time. Unfortunately, the paddles were scraping off the hardwood finish. I moved them to the kitchen.

Clip0 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I set the girls off at 8:48 to log on for 9. Isabelle couldn't see all the images of the classmates. The Internet isn't working well for her. I think it might just be the wind moving our tower extension. I don't know. She couldn't see all her classmates. We'll keep on it. 

Eventually, the faces began to pop up as the wind slowed a bit. 

Also, there are kids with multiple zoom images. Iz says it's because they have more than one tab open. She was quite disgusted, as if the screen isn't busy enough! The teachers can close them, but she didn't seem bothered. 

Caitlin sent me an email memo from virtual school powers-that-be. It was information that the teachers are going to teach the kids a Shutdown protocol. If there is a medical emergency, the staff member will say "SHUTDOWN" three times, and students are to log out. I imagine there was a medical emergency somewhere, sometime, and it's not something kids should view.

These are some of the pages the kids work from. It's rather interesting.

At 9:30 I went downstairs for my workout, satisfied that all was well. 

Grampa returned from physio. A bit of panic. Grampa is taking in the car for snow tires on Tuesday. He couldn't find the lug nut (AKA wheel nut). We looked everywhere. Even Josephine was enlisted for help during her lunch break. I did find our lost flip phone! 

Then, Josephine needed a protractor. I looked everywhere. In my office, desk, cupboards. Nada. Finally, a brilliant thought, I asked Isabelle. She had one in her geometry set, which she'd been told to bring for this week's math. Whew!

At the afternoon break, (1:45 – 2:30) we went outside while Grampa napped. It was just at the right time. It was cold, Josephine had to go in and get my coat. Then, back for asynchronous activities until 3:30. Both worked until 4 p.m.

Jos was too cold, and went back into the house for my raincoat.

When we got back into the house, hail!

Momma had left us some pineapple for snacks. I broke the container. Sorry Momma!

After another 45 minutes of work, Isabelle did her run around the house. Grampa bought us a stopwatch, she ran around twice in 52 seconds.

Dinner went over well!

At dinner we were talking about 'the pot calling the kettle black!'

After dinner, we vegged watching TV. Border Security is always fun. They are all reruns. I like the role models. Well, in the staff, not the perps! A sniffer dog always amazes us. It's wonderful seeing women in these jobs!


Buried Worlds with Don Wildman. Oh my. Witches, spirits. Dr. Dee's Shew Stone.  
Disasters At Sea, as well. 
Finally, I'd taped a 7-minute tribute to Alex Trebek, showing him in various sitcoms, and walk-in parts. Josephine really likes Jeopardy. We finished off the day watching Monday's show while Isabelle showered. "It's kinda sad," mourned Jos. But a great life, I replied.
I couldn't find Isabelle, after the shower. I went downstair, no Izzy! She was in her office, writing poetry!
She was tucked in for 8:30, Jos read until 9.
A good day for all of us.

8 comments:

Tom said...

...the weeks just keep adding up!

carol l mckenna said...

Quite the post ~ great photos and lots of activity ~ Love the 'tree monkey' ~ Josephine ~ do hope the teacher straightens out the class on Zoom or whatever it is ~

Live each moment with love,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Nancy J said...

Down here the Auckland University exams are all done in the students' room, online, Masks compulsory on all internal plane flights, and in Auckland on all public transport.Love your outside photos, and then the indoor activity,.You two are troopers in the Covid ridden world. XXXX

RedPat said...

I was having trouble leaving a comment earlier. Glad it is working now. Your days are so full!

Far Side of Fifty said...

What fun to have your Grands there! They are safe with you and can go to school too! :)

William Kendall said...

The high winds were here in the city Sunday night too, and well into Monday.

Linda said...

Luckily our power was only out about 15 minutes, others close by weren’t so lucky. Of course xplornet was very iffy during the wind

Kay said...

Good gosh! She's climbing pretty darn high.
Looking at your kitty made me yawn too. Twice.