Sunday 24 May 2020

Outdoor birds and work, indoor plant

The Common Yellowthroat was singing in the lilac bush. I zoomed in as best I could, but I'll have to rely on an archive photo for a better view!


I captured the yellowthroat high in the tree canopy. 

common yellowthroat from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I think this is our nesting pair. It was so funny. One had words for the other one, chasing him off. I wish I spoke robin! 

two robins from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Finally, a better photo of phoebe on her nest.

Home maintenance

There are so many now compicated chores! A neon light bulb went out in the garage. That was a project. JB had taken the car in to have the summer tires put on, he combined trips. The store had a sign to go directly to automotive, if you need it. The auto repair door, a separate entrance, had a sign telling you to go to the main door. When he phoned, he was told just to go in the garage door.

He lined up where he went into the store and fetched two new light bulbs. The old ones have last a long time. They still have lots of sawdust on them. The previous owner built furniture in the garage.

Of course, I had two stored in the basement, but they were 1 1/2", not the 1" we needed.



I've been weeding. It is endless. I gave up and chopped down a dead sumac tree, blocking a path.

This one is a little more treacherous. It may have to wait.

We had our lawn tractor worked on. I wanted something different to do. I really like riding around on the tractor. It's a meditation of sorts. Concentrating on the grass and weeds, trying to avoid plants. (The milkweeds are beginning to grow!)

New blades and a new battery. Next fall I'll take the battery in. Mr. Mechanical Bob told me how to do it, just before he hauled it away. Remove the black cable first, then the red one. Assembly is the reverse, the red, positive on first, then the negative black one. Sigh. I'm nearly out of gas, too. Another chore.

I spent a happy hour on the tractor, trying not to kill the daffodils.


Refinishing

This was a nice project. I'm having trouble finding motivation, you see. Others are cleaning, organizing, doing gardens. I like refinishing furniture.

 The cat, I bought on sale somewhere. This is an old table my parents had.


My assistant.


These chores done, I was trying to figure out what to do with the terrarium.
I've been watching my terrarium. I should have been watching it more closely, but the outdoors calls. It's a pretty plant.
"Polka Dot Plant. A polka dot plant (hypoestes) is a small colorful plant native to Madagascar"

I don't know. I could trim it, but it's kinda quirky. What do you think?!

8 comments:

Tom said...

...lots of things are more complicated these days!

Olga said...

Those robins were definitely having a bit of a tif!

Christine said...

I have never refinished furniture, I should try.

Powell River Books said...

I like your half round table I have a small end table with drop leafs from my mom. I use it next to the sofa on my side to hold all my stuff to keep it handy. - Margy

Anvilcloud said...

Our tries won't be changed until Tuesday. I haven't been driving much, so it is okay although Shauna had to use it to drive to Perth on Friday and will do so again tomorrow.

I've been on a riding mower once, and it was kind of fun.

Nancy J said...

A beautiful table, made with real wood, could it be Oak? Hope it stays on show every day, and the lawn, those daffs will give lots of colour.

Karen said...

I think one of my momma robins must have the youngsters out and about. She is being kind of bitchy with her normal mealtime companions.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Going shopping, or just about anything it seems, has a whole new routine about it now, doesn't it? It is also a bit disconcerting how much one is afraid to do little kindnesses that before were second nature. An elderly friend of mine needs a ride for a hospital appointment but how do you let someone else get into the confines of a car these days?