Monday 18 May 2020

May showers

We had our "April showers, bring May flowers..." Except in May. Things are late. There were some thunder and lightning to the south of the lakes.

Actually, May showers have been scarce, too. We've had a range from 30 mm in May to a high of 192 mm in 2017.
The ticks haven't been bad, since the cats have had their treatment, and haven't had any more embedded. I had my 2nd tick, however.  I think I know from whence they came, where I check on the nest boxes. I plan on creating a path when my lawn tractor comes from from repairs. 

We don't have nearly as many ticks as in previous years, as these cats aren't sitting out in the long grasses. 

It's wonderful seeing the birds return. The sparrows have been frequent visitors. Chipping, tree sparrow, white-crowned, white-throated, 


A Baltimore Oriole tried tapping on the window. I don't know what he wanted! We had one hanging around last year. Our trees are in bud, we should have leaves and lilacs shortly!

I participated in my first Zoom meeting, having supervised several with the grandies. I'm on the Citizen Panel for ODPRN.

8 comments:

Out To Pasture said...

You had an embedded tick?! Ugh!! I think I'd freak!

Olga said...

There certainly is a great deal of variation in rain from year to year. Must be such a sense of gambling for farmers.

Tom said...

...and it's rain here today! Happy Victoria Day.

Anvilcloud said...

I've gone by the patch of blossom trees a few times, but they look grim, almost as if they're died. I will keep checking to see if they are just late.

RedPat said...

I heard a Baltimore Oriole yesterday but didn't spot him!

Karen said...

It's a rainy day here. I love to watch all the birds that pass through my yard in the spring. I have all the same sparrows, I think the white crowned are my fave. Lots of orioles in my yard. Have a nice week.

Nancy J said...

A great panel, a lot of varied concerns, well done to be in. Birds, wonderful to know your days are warming up, we are slowly getting cooler and the fire is lit every night now.Shopping is scary, some places very particular, others have barely any hand sanitiser and the trolley handles are not sprayed. Staying home was so much safer, but I did SO need a haircut. I was fitted in, as the rest of our week is full with other activities and necessary outings,. Spray, masked, I felt safe.

Ontario Wanderer said...

No Ticks so far this year. Not too bad last year. The year before (2018) was bad here for me. The dog only had one or two and none on any of the other animals that I found..